• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nes8bit

Pre-Transformations

This topic is 6952 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I understand what you mean with PRE-transformations, I don''t understand what you mean with the vertices being projected though.

Please tell me what transformation matrix you use and how you compute the vertex transformation.

- WitchLord

Advertisement

Ok this is a drawing of what happens when I transform like this:

Transformed(I).X = matSet.rc11 * x + matSet.rc21 * y + matSet.rc31 * z + matSet.rc41
Transformed(I).Y = matSet.rc12 * x + matSet.rc22 * y + matSet.rc32 * z + matSet.rc42
Transformed(I).Z = matSet.rc13 * x + matSet.rc23 * y + matSet.rc33 * z + matSet.rc43

That is a world matrix that I am using for the pre-transformation.

The starting cube looks fine until you rotate it 90 degrees. It ends up turning into paper. Now both sides of that image are pre-transformed. They were just transformed again by directx when I sent a world matrix to the device.

Edited by - nes8bit on May 10, 2000 6:08:15 PM

OOPS! Screw me silly...for some strange reason the transformation works now. I don''t know what I did wrong the last time. What I did this time is I switched the type of object that I wanted to transform. I WAS using a bezier patch but now I am using a cube and a sphere. It shouldn''t make a difference though. Thanks anyway sp...uh crap...witchlord.

I'm flattered that you actually know my previous nick was Spellbound, not many do. Not that I have bothered to tell everyone.

Anyway, I'm glad you got it working. I can't see any error in your transformation formula so I don't know what your problem was either. And you're right it shouldn't matter that it is a bezier patch you're transforming, in fact you should be able to just transform the bezier patch's control points and then compute the surface from the transformed points.

- WitchLord

Edited by - WitchLord on May 11, 2000 8:05:38 AM

Yeah, when SpellBound mysteriously disappeared, I went off to the member profiles. I suddenly noticed that www.witchlord.com was also SpellBounds web page. Anyhoo, since we are on the topic, why did you change your name? Too much popularity?

Also, about the bezier patch, I know it has nothing to do with the transformations, but I think it just appeared to be messed up.

The reason why I changed nickname was not due to popularity, it was in fact several small things that finally made me give up my Saint status:

• I was tired of my old nick
  • I was searching for a domain name that I could call my own
  • I found a game company called Spellbound Software
  • www.spellbound.com was bought by some domain name monger
  • I like WitchLord
  • There are hardly any references to WitchLord when you search for it on the net, at least if you exclude those roleplaying and book references
  • I felt like it

Now that we are off topic anyway, what kind of performance do you have combining Direct3D and Visual Basic? I''m mainly curious, but I have a feeling that it is pretty good. Not as good as with c++, but still good.

- WitchLord

Performance is good. As you said, not as good as C++, but good. Performance varies since I do not have a full-blown out demo. It is all just features like curves, particles, collisions, alphablending, plugins, etc.

If you would like, I could send you a demo of what I have currently. There is only one other person on gamedev that I sent it to so, you'll be a "lucky one." I only send this demo to vb-believers. But, before I send you a demo(if you want it), what 3d card do you have if any?

Edited by - nes8bit on May 11, 2000 12:34:47 AM

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!