• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jechternach

DirectX and Debugging

This topic is 6921 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Some people like to use Multi-monitor or network debugging they can tell you more about that. I personally like using extensive log files for debugging purposes.

I use SiCrane''s approach as well, but IMHO, you cannot replace the valuable tool that is the degbugger. Both at work (I write code in the business world by day) and in my gaming programming it has me saved countless hours.

VC++ has an excellent debugger and yes you can use multiple monitors for it. However, I simply currently run my game in windowed mode. Its easy to jump back into the debugger interface and from what I''ve read this is the preferred approach in the industry. You can implement full screen at the last minute after your code is almost complete and stable.

Happy Debugging,

Sieggy

I just wanted to warn you not to try to debug ANYTHING between lpDDSurface->Lock(whatever) and lpDDSurface->Unlock(whatever). I don''t think MSVC knows how to handle the pointer to video memory or whatever. Anywyas it ALWAYS crashes on me if I try to look at code between them; like for pixel plotting or image loading routines. And I agree with Sieggy''s windowed mode now, fullscreen later method. I use it as well.

Good Luck.

~Tim the Enchanter~
Arthur: Ohh great enchanter, tell us, what is your name?
Enchanter: Some call me Timmmmmm.
Arthur: Tell us great enchanter, how to you make fire without flint and tinder?
Enchanter: Silence!

Monty Python:The Search For The Holy Grail

I think running your application in a window is the best bet. I cant do that for my 3d apps though because my 3d card (Hercules Terminator 3D/GLH) doesn''t support it (It''s not supposed to happen, hercules promised to replace the card) but now they ignore my messages) so I''m stuck without debuging. If anyone knows how to fix such a problem, I''ll be glad to hear it... It sucks not being able to debug from your machine. I''ve never heard of network debugging though... How would you set that up with MSVC?

Thank you all for your help. Debugging in windowed mode sounds like a great idea. I will try that. I am also going to check out the remote debugger, seeing that I have two computers on my home network. I just have to install VC++ on the other. Thanks again for your help.

Justin

Another thing to watch out for while debugging DirectX is not to single step DirectX calls (at least if you''re using exceptions), cause it causes an exception that you don''t want

jechternach: you don''t need to install VC++ on the other computer in order to remote debugging.

There are just a couple of files to copy:

MSVCMON.EXE
MSVCRT.DLL
TLN0T.DLL
DM.DLL
MSVCP6O.DLL
and MSDIS110.DLL

Through MSVCMON.exe you can command your application from the remote computer.

Making the connection among the computers, pay attention to use TCP/IP protocol (not IPX or others) and if you use a Direct Cable Connection, set the TCP/IP protocol value in the 2 computers as follow:

Computer 1:
IP address: 100.100.100.100
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Computer 2:
IP address: 100.100.100.50
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

hope this helps

Target

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!