• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help

VB or VC for DX7?

This topic is 6915 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have project planned and I am wondering whether Visual Basic or Visual C++ is the way to go for it. I have both of them so that is not a problem. I''m going to be using Direct Draw for the project but I may use Direct Input. Basically, it''s going to be all my maths notes put into a kind of "Pass Your GCSE Maths - Or You Money Back" sort of thing. I''ve down loaded the SDK but I''m not sure whether to use Visual C++ or Visual Basic for this project. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

Advertisement
well, if it''s your first DirectX game it really makes no difference. People argue that Visual C++ is faster and I agree, but if it doesn''t need to be pumpin out high frames per second then it shouldn''t matter.

I would say use C or C++. They are much more powerful, have more support, and quite frankley, Math is horrible in VB. Besides that, although you probably don''t care, you could port it (the khronos (or however they spell it) project is trying to do something like that. Anyway, thats the way I would go, but I guess it is your choice.

A wise man once said "A person with half a clue is more dangerous than a person with or without one."

Like what everyones been saying it depends on your own choice.

C++ for portablity and speed.
VB for speed of creation, but sacrificing some features.

My current project is being created on VB, purely for research reasons though :D

-------------------------
-Now Working on Pokemon like Engine!

For the project you''re doing I would go with VB. It is so much easier to set up and use the various parts of DX. If you were making a 3D game it would be a different story.

Brett

I would say C/C++. Not only is it a good thing for developers to know well these days it is incredibly powerful.

However it is more difficult. If you haven''t done a lot of programming before or don''t have a clue what OOP stands for you have a bit a down time just trying to learn the language. However I would still recommend it as it will give you a much higher return, so to speak, than time invested in VB.

My humble $0.02,

Sieggy

When I read your subject I immediatly thought you should use C/C++ because, well, it''s better for DX. Then I read your message, and now I think you should use VB even though it sucks because it is much easier to use, and your project doesn''t sound like it needs speed or anything.

quote:
Original post by Pseudo
...I think you should use VB even though it sucks...

*grrr*

I would agree with that VB seems like the correct choice. To me it doesn''t even seem like you are going to use very much realtime graphics anyway so why even do it in DX?

But even if you are going to rotate a lot of graphics VB will do fine if the maths aren''t taking to long. But there are libraries for helping you out with that.

See you
/Joachim

Guest Anonymous Poster
Visual basic is fine for simple database applications however for levering the full potential of windows you really need a C++ compiler.For example nobody has yet been able to tell me how to get into the message loop of an application in VB or to create an ''OnIdle'' handler both of which are essential for maximum frame rates.Also the maths functions are slower in VB,there also appears to be no easy support for GUID''s in order to access Direct3D hardware support.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!