• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tcs

Octree paramter question

This topic is 6921 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys. I finished my Octree implementation a few minutes ago. Some parameters control when I stop subdividing my nodes. I have a maximum number of polygons a node my contain without being subdived. Only this would cause lock ups (think of a vertex that is shared by 10 faces. You can subdivide your node a million times, one node will still contain at least 10 faces). Because of this, I also added a minimum size. Below this size, the node wouldn''t be subdivided any more. So my questions are: How small should the smalles node become ? So small that it is 1/100 of the world ? So small that the player can walk thorugh it in 5 seconds ? Other ideas ? And how many polygons should a node ideally contain ? What is a good balance between to many nodes and to many polys per node ? I''m using the Octree for indoor (later for idoor/outdoor) scenes. I want to do collision detection, hidden surface removal and lightmap generation with my Octree. Please tell me what values u use for your Octrees or similar structures. Thanks, Tim

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!