• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CoiN

DirectX Question!

This topic is 6926 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hallo, What are the differences between programming directX with VB and DirectX with C++ e.g. would I have to get a specific DirectX book for C++ or would it do for both? Because i was thinking of buying a book and i Just wanted to make sure I program VB at the moment but Im going to move onto C++ sooner or later, know of any good books? Thanks in advance....

Advertisement
All the books I know of, use eather C++ OR VB, I cant think of any book wich covers them both (expect the DX7SDK).
If you''re planning on moiving to C++, Andre LaMothe has written for example "Windows gameprogramming for dummies". It goes through all the basics of DirectDraw, DirectSound, DirectInput, DirectPlay etc ( most of the parts except for Direct3D). Gr8 if you''re new to the DX and WIN32 API.

The differences between C++ and VB is that they are 2 completely different languages. IF you are planning on doing any thing "serious", it aint going to hurt you learing C++.
C++ is considered a more proffesional language and by that also harder to learn than VB.

/ Tooon

Guest Anonymous Poster
I would move on to C++ and learn DirectX for that language. If you are really fond of the VB IDE then I point you towards Borland C++ Builder. This is based upon the same principles as VB but I don''t know what it''s like to program DirectX for. Some people hate it, some love it.

I use it for building the tools and slapping together a really fast interface to test out functions. For my main DirectX programming I use Visual C++.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!