3D worlds

Started by
8 comments, last by josh_pape 23 years, 11 months ago
Hi, I would like to ask some questions. 1)Has any one every undertaken an online world development. The idea being to create a world in which an avatar could walk around in in 3D and explore? 2)Does any one think it would be possible. 3)Would C++ be best for the job? 4)How much development time do you think the engine would need if it were possible to walk into houses etc. ''There''s a crack in everything, thats how the light gets in.''
''There''s a crack in everything, thats how the light gets in.''
Advertisement
?

1) I haven''t, but i am sure someone else has.
2) very possible
3)probably
4) depends on how good you are and how many ppl are working on it.
Something like that already exists. Its called Microsoft V-Chat, and you can download it from www.microsoft.com. Just search for it. It is a really nice (but slow) chat program where you can walk around in 3d space and wave, bow, etc. You can even make your own avatars (that is what Microsoft calls them, btw).

--------------------

You are not a real programmer until you end all your sentences with semicolons;

Yanroy@usa.com

Visit the ROAD Programming Website for more programming help.

--------------------

You are not a real programmer until you end all your sentences with semicolons; (c) 2000 ROAD Programming
You are unique. Just like everybody else.
"Mechanical engineers design weapons; civil engineers design targets."
"Sensitivity is adjustable, so you can set it to detect elephants and other small creatures." -- Product Description for a vibration sensor

Yanroy@usa.com

Yes of cource there is just go to www.activeworlds.com they have exactly what your talking about i think
I'm thinking more along the lines of a traditional role playing aid with the world already mapped out. The GM would be able to set things up in the world and the players would see everything visually. I have little programming experience but would like to run the project using and overseing the resources of the web and it's users.

'There's a crack in everything, thats how the light gets in.'

Edited by - josh_pape on May 9, 2000 1:10:13 PM
If any one is interested in the idea please email me at josh_pape@hotmail.com. It''s still only an idea but could go far.

Just pulling this post to the top for the evening.
Everquest, Ultima Online, Asherons Call

ECKILLER
ECKILLER
Neverwinter Nights - www.neverwinternights.com
is being developed by Bioware and will be possibly the best cRPG ever...heh

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement