TurnBased SpaceExploration RPG feasible?

Started by
5 comments, last by CodePlayEatSleep 23 years, 11 months ago
Okay, my first post in the design fourm and I don't want to piss anybody off :D. Have this idea of a turn-based space-exploration (Master of Orion like) RPG. Unlike most these types of games, where you are some-kind of god, who controls everything in his domain, in this game you go about it in an RPG way. You actually controls the charater who's the traveller in the game. The story can be told thourgh various view-points, for example, an action sequence takes place inside an space-station under attack, you walk-about with your character(and character's party of course, no way he/she's going to adventuring alone now), you run into battles, you interact with NPC etc... What about the turn-based space-exploration part you say? Well, for example you are a commander on some loney planet with-out space-faring technology, the military recently accuired a space-faring ship, so your goverment assembles a crew, thus your space-exploration adventure begins. In this stage of the game you view your ship from above. Each turn is governed by some kind of points(whatever, I haven't given much thought to this yet, if I were to *develop* this for real I will definetly need to work out a workable system), your your move is limited. Everything will be Newtion physic based, so how you move is affected by it. If you move forward this turn, in the next turn if your want to stop, you have to turn around and apply trust(still, it's just a concept, I haven't given any deep thoughts to this yet). Traveling bettween systems is accomplished by using your hyper-drive system(if your have a hyper drive that is). You can also dock with space-stations, go planet-side, etc... Once you dock with things, your view switches to party view, in this stage you pretty much walk around and get on with the story. Also, this game will feature a story mode and a free play mode(shoot, sounds like a big-assed project already). In free-play mode you pretty much, well freeplay :D. You start with a single ship, explore the glaxy, build up your empire, your typical space-exploration type thingy. One point I like make is I want to support not just controlling a single ship, but many ships. Imagine later in the game when you have gathered a fleet of ships, battling it out all across the galaxy. Also, I would like to see player-building their own stuff. Like for example the game will come with a set of objects for you to build your own star-station and star bases, like putting a building here and there, link them toghter, put a few missle launcher around them etc... Impossible dream??? Only time will tell. Also, I'm NOT even THINKING about starting the project yet, as I need to learn more about programming. Also I need to finish my current project(65% complete). Paaaaaeeeeecccccceeeeee *What do I do?* *I sit around all day and look at gibberish codes* *Loser?* *I don't give a rat's ass* Edited by - CodePlayEatSleep on 5/7/00 5:56:03 PM
Advertisement
Hi CPES.

Just a thought - this game could use a format similar to UFO: Enemy Unknown by Microprose. (This game actually has a few different names)

I am currently working on a game which has some of the features you mentioned. My game is a top-down space trading/combat/politics game in the vein of Pirates! from the '80s. Maybe we could swap ideas.

Regards,
WhiteWolf

Edited by - WhiteWolf on 5/7/00 6:00:07 PM
Right ON!

Yes, love to hear from ya. What do you have in mind? I heard great things about the game Pirate, but sadly have never play it. UFO?? Ummmm, yes, my game could look something like that.

I''m still need to finish my current project, I hate not finishing things.

Sounds good, I like your realist approach. What I´d be careful about is mixing so many different concepts into one game. I worked great with UFO, but it can also go horribly wrong. Don´t forget that your target consumer group will have to like ALL parts of it. I think it happens very easily to make a great game that appeals to one group (as f.e. a strategy game) and then ruin it for them by putting action sequences in it. Also the different parts have to be of equal value, because if not, the motivation to play them is gone (I remember that towards the end of the game UFO i tried very hard to shoot down the stupid saucers over the ocean so I wouldn´t have to pick up every single one of them in a two hour tactical). Maybe you could make some of them optional (like letting your trusted captain climb out of the airlock and shoot the bloody spaceweed that have clogged up the hyperdrive for the 1000th time)?

Hope this helps and hope to hear more from your project. Good luck.
Hase,
Thank you. Glad you like me *idea*(heavily borrowed from various games). I''m currently thinking about all aspect of the program. Like you said I have to find some way to balance the whole thing. I agree, one part of the game cannot be better or worst than any other part of the game. Making balanced games I suppose is the utlimate design goal(trip?), and I tell I''m no design god. LOL.

Yes, you will be hearing more from me this summer, as I will probably finish my current game by then. Gota go, it''s time to cram some last minute final exam crap.

Hi CodePlayEatSleep

Isn''t it a little funny if you insist on doing Newton physic on your spaceship and then afterwards happily break every known physic laws by making some sort of ''Hyberdrive''? If someone had invented a device to travel the galaxy in minutes, Im sure he had also thought of a better way to brake?!

Note: this isn''t a critique of your project, which by the way sound as if it could be real fun to play, but just a thought that struc me while reading your post.

Good luck with the game!

Regards

nicba
Newtonian Physics? What''s that?

(Ha! Kidding... Y''know, like, Einstien kicked ass, and stuff. Chaos. Ummmm, sorry.)

Where does the Landfish live? Everywhere. Is not the Landfish the Buddha?
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement