• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

baskuenen

Fast Float 2 Int

This topic is 6920 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I read someone was interrested in Float 2 int conversion. But it was in another discussion so I posted it here. Have fun, Bas.
--== FLOAT 2 INT ==-- by: Alex Chalfin (aka Phred) achalfin@one.net Since the introduction of the Intel Pentium chip, many programmers have switched from fixed point mathematics system to floating point. This is due to the superior floating point unit on the Pentium chip. However, this has left a small debate within the programming world. What is the best way to perform a floating point to integer conversion? I will present 4 methods for float to int conversion in this document. It is up to you to decide which is best for you. Method 1: --------- Typecasting. This method is a high level language method for converting a float to an integer. Here is a small piece of code demonstrating it: MyInt = (int)MyFloat; Advantages: - Completely portable and standard. - Works with float and double without modification. - Performs correct rounding. Disadvantages: - Heavily compiler dependant. - Tends to be slow (i.e. Watcom''s slow typecast). Method 2: --------- Explicit FPU instruction to convert to an integer. On the x86 platform, the instructions take the following form: fist dword ptr [eax] ; store integer -or- fistp dword ptr [eax] ; store integer and pop Using this form on x86 platforms generally avoids the overhead associated with the compiler type casting. When compared to the typecasting under the Watcom 10.6 compiler, the cycle count dropped from 40 to 6. Advantages: - Good performance - Works with float and double without modification. Disadvantages: - x86 CPU dependant - requires assembler (not really a disadvantage) - requires 6 cycles (6 cycles for 1 instruction is quite a bit) - Ignores rounding state of the FPU Method 3: --------- Magic number/fadd trick. This method uses a trick in the IEEE double format to perform the typecasting without actual conversion. int FLT2INT {0,0x43380000}; int FLT2FXD24_8 {0,0x42B80000}; int FLT2FXD16_16 {0,0x42380000}; int FLT2FXD8_24 {0,0x41B80000}; int TEMP {0,0}; fadd qword ptr [FLT2INT]; fstp qword ptr [TEMP]; Mov eax,[TEMP+4]; Advantages: - Good performance Disadvantages: - Dependant on "double" data type, doesn''t work on "float". - Extra constants (has to be stored as a double or two ints). - Ignores rounding Method 4: --------- Integer pipeline conversion. This method takes the IEEE float format and uses it completely to convert to an integer. FltInt = *(int *)&MyFloat; mantissa = (FltInt & 0x07fffff) / 0x800000; exponent = 150 - ((FltInt >> 23) & 0xff); if (exponent < 0) MyInt = (mantissa << -exponent); else MyInt = (mantissa >> exponent); if (FltInt & 0x80000000) MyInt = -MyInt; Advantages: - Good performance - Pure integer pipeline based (good for pairing with FPU) Disadvantages: - Separate routines necessary for floats and doubles. - Costly jump to handle negatives (can hurt on PPro machines) - Ignores rounding Stuff ----- The main purpose of this document is to introduce the fourth method of float to int conversion. I had never seen anything like it and I thought it was pretty cool. Here is how it works in a little bit more detail: IEEE 32-bit floating point number: 31 30 23 0 ________________________________ /s/ exp / mantissa / -------------------------------- What this diagram shows is the 23-bit mantissa, the 8-bit exponent, and the 1-bit sign. The first stage of the conversion is to extract the mantissa. This is done with simple bit masking. mantissa = (FltInt & 0x07fffff); With IEEE numbers, the most significant bit is always assumed to be set. This is why the mantissa bits are all zeros for numbers which are powers of two (like 16, 256, etc.). This bit nee

Advertisement
I''m currently coding a realtime software rendered 3D engine. If you''d ask me: Float point is the best, I use it everywhere except in the polygon drawing proc!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!