DirectX and Windows NT

Started by
5 comments, last by WhiteWolf 23 years, 11 months ago
Hi. After an hour of fruitless searching in the Microsoft Knowledge Base, I have resorted to putting this post here. Does Windows NT run DirectX 7 games? I have created a little game in DirectX 7 on Windows 98, but when I run it on WinNT, I get an error saying "DirectInputCreate failed". Any ideas? Regards, WhiteWolf
Advertisement
NT 4.0 only officially supports DirectX up to version 3. There''s a DirectX 5 hack that you can run on NT, but it''s not recommended (read very flaky). Windows 2000, which uses an NT kernel, will run DirectX 7.
Well here is the deal. Windows NT 4.0 comes with Direct X 3. And there were alot of changes with in directinput since that release. So what you need to do is go through your code & make directx3 interfaces out of anything that''s a directx7 interface and that should solve your problem. Another solution would be to upgrade direct x, but that will not work with NT 4 due to some lack of forsight of the programmers.
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.
evaclear - that wasn''t lack of foresight, it was a conscious decision of Microsoft to delay DirectX 5 ( yes, it was 5 at the time ) to Windows NT5.0. Now, we all know how late NT5.0 was ( now known as Windows 2000 ).

Somehow Microsoft thought that no-one needed DirectX on windows NT, because games were played on 95/98... stupid arses forgot about the development community, which is why we''re all programming graphics with OpenGL now .

#pragma DWIM // Do What I Mean!
~ Mad Keith ~
**I use Software Mode**
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
OK, so does this only apply to DirectInput? Which other Direct''s will I have to modify?
Windows NT comes with DirectX 2. SP3 provides you with DirectX 3 (DDraw, DInput, etc.). SP5 upgrades you to DPlay 6.1a... this update can be downloaded individually too (somewhere on Microsoft''s web site). Everything else is at the v3 level.

- n8

nathany.com
You must change all interfaces to 3. Not just input.
___________________________Freeware development:ruinedsoft.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement