Which 3D accelerated card should I buy ?

Started by
27 comments, last by michaK 23 years, 10 months ago
When do you want to buy your card ?
Can you wait until the september new release date ?

If you can''t depending on your system and what you want to do with it, I can advice you.

Most post here are about personnal opinion, not really facts.

All cards have advantages and inconvenients, it''s up to you to know what you prefer.
lightning speed or best gfx ?
Special fx ?

Athlon are faster than PIII and cost less money.
Under 750MHz I''ll advice you to use buy a Athlon, otherwise buy a PIII.
(It''s a matter of cache speed above 750MHz Athlon)

I read that a GeForce is dev dream...
Sorry I''m a dev and I really prefer PowerVR cards.
(ok the drivers are not as good but the hardware is best, ear by that that the hw does clipping and transparency for me, supports FSAA, supports dot3 bumpmapping... And available since end 1998 (in the Dreamcast), since september 1999 for the PC)

michak send me a mail and tell me your computer specs and what you want to do with it, then I''ll do my best to find the card you really need.

-* Sounds, music and story makes the difference between good and great games *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
Advertisement
quote: Original post by SonicSilcion

nes8,

The reason that Diamond Viper sucks is, well,
it's a DIAMOND card! I've found out the hard way that Diamond's drivers are the sorriest on the planet. You're better off with reference drivers.

Yeah, the diamond drivers for OpenGL suck ass. D3D support is awsome....dont correct me...D3D support is awsome. Anyhoo, the ref drivers crash my system or freeze my system more than the diamond ones.

Edited by - nes8bit on May 18, 2000 5:06:01 PM
ok you can shoot me for this but try a voodoo banshee. thats what i use and its fast and supports all OGL.

nes8bit, i don''t know about the current situation with TNT2 Diamond Viper cards, but my Diamond Viper TNT1 still rocks! ... even on OpenGL. I agree that D3D support is excellent and not so good on OpenGL but no matter what Diamond cards are still good. Diamond''s reference drivers are crap in performance when it comes to nVidia''s drivers. But my card never crashes in OpenGL or D3D.
I have another card, its a Matrox G200 with 8MB AGP, and OpenGL performance on this card is soooo crap sometimes I think whether the hardware supports it or not! I get extremely poor frame rates on a PII-400!
quote:Original post by Zerosignull

ok you can shoot me for this but try a voodoo banshee. thats what i use and its fast and supports all OGL.

Ah, I''ll just shoot you because you asked me to. Not really, but my friend has a banshee and it looked quite impressive for its age. He was running turok on it and I liked it.

---------------------------
The End Is Near.
I never would have come up with that suggestion on my own, but Banshee isn''t a bad idea if you''re on a *really* tight budget. A friend of mine got one for $30 at Fry''s electronics for a computer I helped him build, and I was truly stunned at how well it ran Quake 3 Arena. All I''d read was bad press about Banshees, but it seems ok to me for $30! Haven''t tried any gl development of my own on one, so I can''t comment about that except that I hope the Banshee drivers are better than Voodoo3 drivers (not likely).

If you have some cash, I''ve seen GeForce (1) cards going for about $130. I''m still extremely happy with my TNT2U card for which I payed significantly more than $130 almost a year ago, so I figure that''s a good deal. If you ask me, the hot-shit next generation cards (GeF2, V4/5) are not worth the money. By the time games come out that really push those cards, they''ll be selling for just over $100 (much like what has happened to the GeForce and the TNT2 before it).
Call me crazy, but I''m waiting for the Voodoo5. Full-screen AA and cheaper than GeForce2. Plus it''ll be good for a few more years.

------------------------------
"You mean I have to be clinically insane to use your bathroom?!"
--Mason Carver, atypical-interactive.com
------------------------------Changing the future of adventure gaming...Atypical Interactive
Erm... Stupid question here...

Whatever happened to the Voodoo4???

Voodoo Chipset
Voodoo2 Chipset
Voodoo3 Chipset
Voodoo5 Chipset

Am I the only person who sees a gap here?
A Voodoo5 or a GeForce2 cannot be a bad choice, it depends what you want. Right now, D3D games benefit more from FSAA than OpenGL games, and the Voodoo5 has a slight edge in FSAA quality. But even with all their power, both cards take a massive performance hit when using FSAA.

I''d say go for the GeForce2 (or even a GeForce 256 if on a limited budget...the prices for them a falling now). One of the main benefits of an NVIDIA card is that there are very few games that can take advantage of the hardware T&L the card offers. You can bet that this is where developers are heading. Some of the most impressive benefits of NVIDIA''s chip are yet to be seen.

Of course, by the end of the summer there will be a whole new lineup of chips to choose from (ATI Radeon 256, NVIDIA NV20, etc.). But ain''t that the way.
------When thirsty for life, drink whisky. When thirsty for water, add ice.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement