Dissappearing textures in fullscreen...

Started by
2 comments, last by Novalis 23 years, 11 months ago
I''ve been working on this OpenGL demo for a week or two now, and I had things working pretty smoothly. Essentialy, it redners an increasingly more detailed texture over time. Now, to minimize the texture upload time, I use small textures (16x16) in the begining, and then as the resolution increases I bump up the texture size (up to 1024x1024). Well, once I had things going well, I ported the code into the fullscreen app kindly provided on the NeHe site. It still works fine in windowed mode, but in fullscreen mode the texture "dissappears" when I start using the 1024x1024 texture. I''m not getting any errors from glBindTexture or glTexImage2D, and I know that the texture contains "colors", but for some reason it gets mapped as all black. If the program has to drop back down to a lower resolution (let''s say 512x512), the colors appear again, but as soon as it goes back to 1024x1024, back to black... Any thoughts?
If a man is talking in the forest, and there is no woman there to hear him, is he still wrong?
Advertisement
Make sure your 3D card supports 1024x1024 textures. For example, Voodoo2s only support 256x256 textures, so for this reason you might want to only go up to 256x256.

However, if it works in windowed mode, it might be to do with video memory. In fullscreen, you''ll usually have less video memory (eg because of more backbuffers, or larger primary and back buffers), so you might not be able to fit in the 1024x1024 texture any more. On some 3D cards, if the texture isn''t in video memory, it won''t display properly.

The best solution (other than using smaller textures) is to use texture management, which DirectX 7 supports (but I don''t know if OpenGL does).
All good thoughts... I wouldn''t think that fullscreen would take more memory though, because it''s the same resolution as the window in windowed mode (640x480). You''re definately on the right track though... It works fine on a couple of other machines I tested it on, so I must not be checking carefuly enough for hardware compatability somewhere. The question is, where?
If a man is talking in the forest, and there is no woman there to hear him, is he still wrong?
The textre wouldn''t disapear on a Voodoo, it''d get sampled down to 256x256 - I''ve had no end of issues with that this week
Paul Grovespauls opengl page

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement