Accessing an database from within Win32 C++ program

Started by
5 comments, last by Sand_Hawk 21 years, 3 months ago
I have a nice idea for an app that my dad''s work might be interested in. So I am working out the design now and am looking into a way for accessing a database. I prefer to use Access since it''s easy to work with, doesn''t need an server to be running. It''s perfect for this app which doesn''t require HUGE SQL strings to be executed. Anyone knows where I should look into? I already know how I can access an MySQL database but that''s because I wrote my own (very simple) wrapper class around it. Sand Hawk ---------------- -Earth is 98% full. Please delete anybody you can.
My Site
----------------(Inspired by Pouya)
Advertisement
You can use the OLEDB objects such as CDataSource:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vcmfc98/html/vcrefcdatasource.asp
Is that MFC?
----------------(Inspired by Pouya)
I''d choose OCI for oracle as Oracle Objects for OLE are :

a: Not supported from now on in oracle.
b: Not backwards compatiblility (different versions for different versions of Oracle)

Neil

WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THE LARGEST ARMS IN THE WORLD RUN WILD ON YOU?!?!
WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THE LARGEST ARMS IN THE WORLD RUN WILD ON YOU?!?!
I do not know how SQL got into game dev...

But,

Using access ....... Well pluses it has drivers for it on ever win box since 95. minuses..... No stored procedures. No views, no triggers, no data constraints....

Using MySQL still using a server as you suggested didn''t need to be.........

Using MS SQL still using a server.

If you need a smaller database stay with access but I would take advantage of SQL or mySQL''s ablitity to use stored procedures and data constraints and views. SQL 2000 you can use cascading deletes.
--What are you nutz?I have nothing to say to your unevolved little brain. The more I say gives you more weapons to ask stupid questions.
Sand_Hawk, no its not MFC, its ATL.
I forgot to tell you about the issues with locking Access locks whole tables while queries run. SQL will lock tables a bit but does not affect how it performs. if you have more than 25 people using access at once you will see locking.

mySQL and SQL are very closely related core T-SQL is supported views constraints and ..... well you get the point.

using ADO to access it is nice. I am not sure that you can get that from mySQL.... although it is available in .net...

--What are you nutz?I have nothing to say to your unevolved little brain. The more I say gives you more weapons to ask stupid questions.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement