Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob Loach

2D Tile Engine?.......

Does any one know any good ones? (open-source or otherwise) I started making my own about two months ago, it''s pretty good, but I''ve been focusing on making the engine and havn''t even started the game yet. This is just for hobby use, I don''t plan to pay any money. - Rob Loach OverTech Technologies ---------- "I don''t know half of you half as well as I should like; And I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo Baggins

2 months already? Whoaahhh that''s a lot!

Sorry I''m not trying to flame/offend you but if you really think you''d be programming your game in 2 months you''re a bit naive if you ask me (or just badly informed)

I''ve been programming for 3-4 years now, and I''m still working on my 3D engine. In a few months I''ll probably start off my first serious game with a team already set up. The only thing I finished so far is some basic 2D engine. You really can''t do anything in 2 months!!! Even if you get yourself an engine, you will still need A LOT of time to make the game, and I''m not speaking of 6 months. Probably at least a year or more... If you really want to move on to making a game already, you could do so there''s noone who will stop you. But I advise you continue working on that engine, and start off with the game in a few months from now when the engine is getting shape and just keep on developing the engine while you''re making the game. Making your own engine has some advances: a. you learn more about programming. if you get yourself an engine with tools you actually just learn game design/making levels/etc. please remember that! b. Your own engine is designed to do what you require from it. Getting an engine on the net always leaves you with an engine that might miss some features you''d like to use, and you can''t do anything about it! c. if you finished your game or just a part or a demo you''ll feel much better if you can say "I did all that myself" instead of "I just made something with some engine" d. you''ll learn better how engines work if you make one yourself. (Even if you don''t use it afterwards, it still gave you a lot of sight on how engines are made/what they are like.

And really, I think there are really few 2D tile-based games that get a bit popular or add something to what''s already available. Since you work on your own you probably won''t get a revolving game off the ground. So if the point is not getting very succesful with it, it''s probably LEARNING right? I think you learn a lot more if you do everything yourself.

But once again, it''s your own choice and if you decide to pick an engine anyway that''s not a bad thing to do. I just wanted to show you why the other path could be used

I'm fiddling with a parallax engine when not working, and my advice is to take it step-by-step. So first you create your basic sprite engine, then do a little shoot-em-up game with it.
Next implement the tile system, and create a scolling shooter a la '1942'. Etc. etc.
That saves you from the frustration of endlessly programming your engine without getting to the fun part.
Just keep the big picture in mind when adding stuff so you don't get stuck later on.

To answer your question: dunno about a good tile engine for c++, but I've used DelphiX and it was frustrating. Better continue what you're doing.

[edited by - Prototype on January 17, 2003 12:22:56 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Subotron

Sorry I''m not trying to flame/offend you but if you really think you''d be programming your game in 2 months you''re a bit naive if you ask me (or just badly informed)

It was a 2D game, not a 3D. Two months is plenty. You can get a decent tile scroller/sprites etc up and running in two days.

Guest Anonymous Poster
You can damn well do games in two months. You can do games in two days.

http://ludumdare.com/articles/?link=v&arid=50

Almost all of my recent games have been done in about 4-5 weeks, ven the fancy 3D ones. The graphics work tends to zap the time. Less grahpics=less dev time.

Mark
http://www.cornutopia.co.uk
mark@cornutopia.co.uk

dude?? what kind of stuff do you include in your 3d engines??

i started one a week and 1/2 ago and i have a 3d first person camera (quake-like), a particle engine, a model loader, and im starting on the gameplay and level loader now... a week and a half and im already programming the game!

im interested in what is included in your engine!

quote:
You really can''t do anything in 2 months!!!

I programmed my first platformer (which also was my second game ever) in 2 days including scrolling. And no, i didn''t have a book or any tutorials(i was still offline back then and didn''t know about game programming books).

Dev time tends to decrease with experience (except that once we have the experience, we add all the cool stuff we can think of and end up taking longer). I wrote my current Iso engine in 3-4 days (basics: smooth-scrolling, objects, animation, etc.); it helped that I work mainly in VB.

First games can take a while though, since it involves learning new concepts and their implementation.

<< I've been programming for 3-4 years now, and I'm still working on my 3D engine. >>

You're F-----G slow. Hurry up. Hee hee. Did an asteroids in a month, PacMan maybe a couple weeks. Then OpenGL 3D Engine, 2 days. DirectX 4D Engine, 3 hours. Damn I'm fast. Working on my 7D Engine as we speak....done. Eight minutes. Awesome.

Phil P

[edited by - PhilVaz on July 22, 2003 2:58:39 AM]