• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Enselic

Dialog Box as main window

This topic is 5713 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

If I have a resource dialog and want to attach that one to the main window i.e. ...well i think what you mean... how do I do that? Until now I''ve always on init set the main window to be invisible and then used either DialogBox() or CreateDialog() but that feels a bit unnecsecary since then I have two windows where there is only one visible of them.

Advertisement
Don''t create a main window.

int APIENTRY WinMain(HINSTANCE hInst,HINSTANCE hPrev,LPSTR ComLine,int nShowCmd)
{
hWnd = CreateDialog(hInstance,MAKEINTRESOURCE(IDD_MAINWND),NULL,(DLGPROC)WndProc);
SendMessage(hWnd,WM_SETICON,(WPARAM)ICON_SMALL,(LPARAM)LoadIcon(hInstance,MAKEINTRESOURCE(IDI_ICON1)));

ShowWindow(hWnd,SW_SHOWNORMAL);
MSG msg;
while(GetMessage(&msg, NULL,0,0) == TRUE)
{
TranslateMessage(&msg);
DispatchMessage(&msg);
}
}

My Site

I used that code to try to load a dialog as my main window... The dialog is kind of cut off, and I can't click the X on it, and the buttons don't work... what did I do wrong, or fail to do?

P.S. I also can't drag the window around
-- malakite
-- www.chrysb.com

[edited by - malakite on February 3, 2003 9:10:30 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
are you using a WndProc or a DlgProc for your msg processing? the structure of a dialog box''s msg processing function is a bit different than that of a *normal* window''s msg processing function.

also, that code shown above is missing a call to the IsDialogMessage function within the msg pump, which means that the *dialog box* keyboard keys won''t be handled properly.

here''s a template you can use that provides the basic functionality for a main window dialog box:

#include <windows.h>
#include <windowsx.h>
#include <commctrl.h>
#include "resource.h"

BOOL CALLBACK DlgProc( HWND hdlg, UINT msg, WPARAM wparam, LPARAM lparam );

int WINAPI WinMain( HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPSTR lpCmdLine, int nCmdShow )
{
InitCommonControls();

// NOTE

// make sure the visible style is set in the dialog resource

// NOTE

HWND hDlg = CreateDialog( hInstance, MAKEINTRESOURCE( IDD_DIALOG ), NULL, DlgProc );
if( !hDlg ) return -1;

MSG msg;
while( GetMessage( &msg, 0, 0, 0 ) == TRUE )
{
if( !IsDialogMessage(hDlg, &msg) ) {
TranslateMessage( &msg );
DispatchMessage( &msg );
}
}
return msg.wParam;
}

BOOL CALLBACK DlgProc( HWND hdlg, UINT message, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam )
{
switch( message )
{
case WM_INITDIALOG:
// do control initialization here

return TRUE;

case WM_COMMAND:
switch( LOWORD(wParam) )
{
case IDOK:
PostMessage(hdlg, WM_CLOSE, 0, 0);
break;
case IDCANCEL:
PostMessage(hdlg, WM_CLOSE, 0, 0);
break;
// put additional control command processing here

}
break;

case WM_CLOSE:
DestroyWindow( hdlg );
break;

case WM_DESTROY:
PostQuitMessage(0);
break;
}

return FALSE;
}

Thanks for the reply, though I just figured out it was because I was addressing it to the wrong dialog proc... I have a seperate proc for my dialog box, thanks though!!

-- malakite
-- www.chrysb.com

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!