simple multiplayer concept

Started by
6 comments, last by Cephasl 21 years, 3 months ago
What is the simplest practical way right now to make a multiplayer game. For example: Like a little zelda sprite game with a bunch of people. Would it be going the DirectPlay route or using SDL and getting all the multiplayer protocols from somewhere else?
Advertisement
Are you a noob?

Use whatever yo want to create the gameplay part of it, and use anything else you want to create the network part of it.

OpenGL for Graphics.
DirectInput for Input.
Fmod for Audio.
HawkNL for communications.

Whatever. It doesn''t matter.

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

Well yea, I already realize that this is a free country and that I can use whatever I want. I was just asking for a few good ideas, you know, stuff that works well as opposed to a buggy lib. Or something that is easier to work with over something else.
Well yea, I already realize that this is a free country and that I can use whatever I want. I was just asking for a few good ideas, you know, stuff that works well as opposed to a buggy lib. Or something that is easier to work with over something else.
What I suggest is that you spend some time dealing with the base networking system using sockets and reading and writing to them. This will give you a good base of understanding of how most network communications work. From here you can decide that you either want to a) write your own lib or b) find a pre-existing system ( like DirectPlay ).

Either way you should at least take a look at the base networking architecture to get a feel for it. And then you can make a more informed choice about what you need. Try Beej''s Guide to Network Programming. It is a good introduction into networking.

---------
Andrew

sdl-net is good. It has good documentation and examples to get you started. I reccomend it if you just want to get the game working. not that sdl_net is bad, but i agree with the other guys that learning the basics would be helpful if you want to become a 1337 network programmer or something. If it is just for fun, jump right in and sdl_net will make things very simple for you.
Or check out my Multi-User Network Engine (MUNE) at
mune.will.jennings.name

My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)

Hey, thanks allot for the advice! And I realize I’m a bit obnoxious so thanks for putting up with that too.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement