• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hpolloni

how faster is to use pointers

This topic is 5729 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

well,i know that returning a pointer in a function is faster than return the struct(or class) that it point to(i don''t know how to say this,my english sucks),but it make a real difference?, because i was watching some code,from an online tutorial,and they simple return the struct. that''s all folks

Advertisement
The pointer can fit into a register. Returning something via a register is fast.

Most structs wont fit into a single register, so they have to be copied around memory. Memory is slow.

To answer you question, pointers are a hell of a lot faster.

When your function returns a class/struct it makes yet another object in the memory which takes more memory, if its a pointer it doesnt make a new object, its also faster.

Just to be another cook...

Often if you''re passing a structure or class into a function you should use a reference or pointer. If you''re not going to change the struct, use a const reference or const pointer.

For example, in C:

typedef struct
{
float x, y, z;
}
VECTOR3;

void MyFunction (const VECTOR3 * v)
{
printf ("%f, %f, %f\n", v->x, v->y, v->z);
}

VECTOR * BadFunction (void)
{
VECTOR3 v = {0, 1, 0};
return &v; // NEVER EVER DO THIS OR YOUR APP DIES

}

Note that the last function, BadFunction, returns a pointer to a local variable that no longer exists when the function returns. You can''t return structs by pointers like this. Instead you should do something like this:

void BetterFunction (VECTOR3 * v)
{
v->x = 0;
v->y = 1;
v->z = 0;
}

Hope this helps. Passing things by pointer or reference is a good way to avoid passing around huge chunks of data, and modifying data without making a copy.

In C++ you''d use references if you could. Change the "*" to "&" and the "->" to ".". A reference is like it sounds. It''s "another name" for a variable.

Hope this helps.

Helpful links:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Google can help with your question | Search MSDN for help with standard C or Windows functions

Guest Anonymous Poster
Just don''t return a pointer to a locally allocated object. An example is

Object* f()
{
Object a;

return &a;
}

What you should do is

Object* g()
{
Object* a = new Object();

return a;
}

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!