Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

En3my

debugging using two computers?

As I still have two older computers I thought it would be neat if I could use them for debugging purposes. On my so-called development system I have Visual Studio .NET installed, and the operating system is Windows 2000. The systems that I will use to output debug information run under Windows 98. Anyone that can point me to a good website for setting up debugging using two computers? I will see what I can find myself using Google, as well as searching the MSDN. Still I hope someone with experience from this kind of setup read this, and can point me in the right direction. Thanks a lot for your help!

quote:
Original post by billybob
you only need a second monitor and another video card (or if you have a fancy shcmancy video card that has multimonitor plugs), not another computer

What part of "As I still have two older computers" didn''t you understand?

As for the original question, the basic procedure is to run MSDev on one PC and the executable on the other. It''s called "remote debugging" and there is a technical article in MSDN about how to set it up, etc.

-scott

i was just saying it doesn''t involve the second computer (the tower/box/thing with the processor) part. he only needs the monitor and a cheap vga video card, or unless he has a video card with a second video out, gf3 and above i think, but i''m not sure.

hi, thanks scott for pointing me in the right direction! i have now setup my systems for remote debugging succesfully, and debugging will be wonderful from now on! one the older computers is a laptop, so i just place it on my desk whenever i need to debug. thanks for your guidance!