Rushing The Path to Become a Game Developer

Started by
16 comments, last by Zerotek 21 years, 3 months ago
Zerotek,

Is there a particular reason why you say three months? If you have some physical time limit to produce a commercial grade game in that time then you may not manage it. However, if you just said three months because that is the time scale that you''d *like* to do it in, then I''d say go for it anyway.

I see so many people come on these forums asking for similar advice ''can I do abc game in xyz time'' and many of the replies are ''No, you cant''. The problem is that I bet many of those people are put of entirely by the negative replies and don''t even try.

My advice is, just go for it! If you complete your game within three months then more power to you. If you don''t then hopefully you''ll have learnt something and can keep working at it or choose to scrap the game and try another one etc.

Caroline M.
Caroline M
Advertisement
Successful people often have an irrational concept of what is possible and people telling them otherwise only strengthens their conviction.

If somebody is put off "starting a company" by reading a few message board threads then would you expect them to be able to run that company, given they avoided the message board?

There is so much more than "making a game" to running a company. I would say, like others have on this thread, that you can forget about making EB-sellable games. Do your best to make shareware quality games, look at MonkeyStone for inspiration (Romero''s outfit).

Selling your game will be difficult, very difficult. Getting it in the public eye is something you will like have to pawn off to people who know that side of things (like Dexterity Software).

I can think of one example of a group of friends starting a successful gamedev house: Surreal Software, makers of Drakan and one of the LoTR games. They started in university but bear in mind they studied the type of technology they''d be using to make Drakan while at university for a long time.

And please believe me when I say, moving state to get development experience is far far less drastic than trying to start a company

Use those 3 months to make a simple, addictive, shareware game. Find somebody to sell it for you, and who knows? You might well make enough to fund yourself for another 6 months to make a better game. And just keep going...
It''s definetly plausible but don''t jump in at the deep end!

Making the next Quake 7 would be near impossible even for many established developers so start on something small!

Make one of those puzzle game packs, make a mission pack, write some amazing demos, there is a whole lot of things you could do which will advance you on your way.

Oh and in terms of marketting there is no such thing as bad publicity! So you want to pimp the hell out of your work to get attention.

My two cents
Thank you very much for your advice.

I actually meant 3 months training, and we were thinking 2 years development.

What we''ll most likely do is begin with a small shareware puzzle game, it''s a popular game that I used to play on paper (not telling you what it is though ), but there doesn''t seem to be any electronic equivalent of it, and it''ll most probably have a lobby service, so it''ll even train the network aspect of making games (and give you a reason to pay 5-10$ to download a small game ) and will be cross-platform, due to the Crystal Space engine and such...

We were thinking of making a AAA title, but we''ll hold on that dream for the future, when we''re better experienced, better funded and we''re all certain we''re ready for it.

Thank you.
Is the money you can get a grant or a loan? If it is a grant that you don''t have to pay back, I say go for it. At the very least it will be a learning experience.

If you do not have to pay it back, work like you do. This will give you a goal to work towards.

If you do do it, here are a couple of tips:

• Pick a leader. Just some one to run meetings etc.. But it is also important for there to be someone to make a decision when there is some uncertainty.
  • Make a stick to a schedule. There is a always a little give an take on a schedule, but if people don''t have a schedule, there is nothing to work towards, which can cause laziness.
  • Meet at least once a week. It is very important to track your progess. If you don''t things can go into the dumper very quickly.

Good luck.

First make it work,
then make it fast.

--Brian Kernighan

"I’m happy to share what I can, because I’m in it for the love of programming. The Ferraris are just gravy, honest!" --John Carmack: Forward to Graphics Programming Black Book
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]
quote:Original post by Zerotek
New-Brunswick, where the government funds a game design course, but there's no game companies. O.o

No visible ones anyway.

Cool, another programmer from NB. Where abouts are you from Zero? ((The NB, Government funds a game design course???))

Either way best of luck to you. Bottom line is simply, shoot for the game *you* want to make.
I'm fairly new to programming myself, however I refuse to believe that a small game company or single person for that matter cannot make a top quality game (I didn't set myself upon learning programming to make Tetris clones my whole life ).
If you have the time and the determination, any thing is possible. It does take years to make a high end game, and many many more if you are doing it alone or in a small group, but it is definitely not impossible.

Best of luck to you.

[edited by - Oryon on January 20, 2003 2:02:01 PM]
"Do or Do Not, There is no try"
We haven''t checked what''s available to us yet, CaptainJester.
I agree with what you say, things need to be ordered (well, not TOO ordered, but generally ordered), and there needs to be a deadline, for something to at least work for! We can pass them by a few days, but we should try to use the deadlines as, well, guidelines. O.o Also to track our progress, see if something is wrong somewhere...

Oryon: From the Bathurst region. Hehe, I keep bumping into people from NB on the internet in funky places... NB is such a small province, but we''ve got nothing to do, so I guess we all hang out online?
If we''d be getting an office, we''ll either make it in Bathurst, or if we can find a cheap place and some cash, we''ll do it in Moncton.
Oh, and the government funds a game design course, yeah, at NBCC/CCNB Miramichi, there''s a game design course. And NBCC/CCNB is part of the government.
I''m studying at CCNB Bathurst, obviously...
Thanks. We''ll start small, and cautiously move towards a bigger goal, personally, I don''t think we''re enough, right now, to make the game we''re dreaming of, so we''ll see what can be done now.
Hi i am on Zeroteks programming team. Just wanted to say that you guys prety much comfirmed all we tought and that were now more determined then ever. I think we can learn the game aspect of C++ in 3 months considering we will know all there is to know in C++ after our course is complete(well all...). And if i can learn a full semester of COBOL in one night i think in 3 months we can learn to use an engine to make something prety decent with it. I appreciate the help and were gona let you all know when are game comes. Not too sure yet what were gona do first but in 2 to 3 yrs you can expect something very addictive and fun to play. So cya all in that time got an exam tomorrow beter go start powerlearning

Make a man a fire he will be warm for a day, Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life
Make a man a fire he will be warm for a day, Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement