Direct3D 8 + z order

Started by
2 comments, last by PureMourning 21 years, 3 months ago
I am trying to render a multilevel 2d map (ie render tiles on top of each other - higher the tile, the greater the precidence). i have created the render function (using 6 vertices per square tile), but when it draws the ''top'' layer (of 2 in thie case) nothing can be seen of that layer, only the bottom layer. i have tried changing the z values of the seperate layers, but the same thing is shown... could anyone give me any insight into why this might be happening? i checked in the debugger and it -is- creating the vertices correctly and textureing them, but i dont see them thanks in advance PureMourning - rpg2knet.com but this loneliness wont leave me alone
PureMourning - rpg2knet.combut this loneliness wont leave me alone
Advertisement
-> are you using z-buffering?
-> are you sure vertices are stored in bottom/middle/top order?

ToohrVyk
-------------
Extatica - a free 3d game engine
Available soon!
Click here to learn more
If your map has discrete levels, then don''t bother with the z ordering or depth buffer. It is much faster to just draw the bottom layer first and then the others on top.
quote:If your map has discrete levels, then don''t bother with the z ordering or depth buffer. It is much faster to just draw the bottom layer first and then the others on top.

Indeed. That''s what he''ll have to do when rendering transparent tiles too.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement