Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PeterFree8

Map making, like Worms?

Hey... I''m trying to create a 2D-game where you should be able to "destroy" the landscape, so I first thougt about the good old Worms-game... Anyway I found my Worms: Armageddon game, and installed it because I remembered there where something with BMP files in the Map maker. I discovered that when you create maps in Worms: Armageddon (maybe also in Worms 2 also), you can simply import a BMP, which have white background, with black colored landscape. So in worms the maps are simply just a image-file with two colors. Worms will then overlay the "black" landscape with some textures, and then apply a background animation... So now the big question, how can we create such a feature in or own games?... With such maps, it would be very easy to create a map editor, because it would just be a very simple image-editing program.

I''ve done games like this in the past many times. How can you create such feature? Just like you said
Your terrain will be stored in one 1-bit image mask. First, you draw your background completely. Then you draw terrain texture which uses terrain 1-bit mask as a transparency. How do you implement this? Well, that''s where programmer''s ingenuity comes from

this is a guess, but maybe it simply sets within a blast radius of the object, all the values that are 1 to 0.. ?

And the worms themselves can''t be on 1''s so they have to be on 0''s.. if you get what I mean..

=*=
If things seem bad, think that they can get a whole load worse, and they don''t seem so bad anymore

=*=