• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PeterFree8

How to use DXInput correct?

This topic is 5635 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey... I''ve been trying to figure DXInput out, but I really can''t seem to find it very useful! I have my game with some simple functions... Eg. move up, down, left, right, jump and shoot. So now I want to make a Configure keys setup screen, like every game have, but how do i do that? Can anybody point me in the correct way to save/load user defined keybindings? This was how I wanted to do it: - First I created some vars (iMoveUp, iMoveDown, etc...) which should be the Hex or Integer value for the key that the user have choosen. - Then I would simply do this in my game loop: If iMoveUP = GetKey(KeyValue) Then DoMoveUP; If iMoveDown = GetKey(KeyValue) Then DoMoveDown; etc... But as the function GetKey doesn''t exist I have to make that function my self, but I really can''t find any way to get DXInput to show what key I pressed!? Any help on DXInput would be nice... Btw... anybody who knows how they did the "bind w forward" thing in Quake, and other 3D-shooters?.. and maybe how to make such a function in our own games?

Advertisement
int nW = 0; // 0 is up
int nA = 1; // 1 is left
int nS = 2; // 2 is down
int nD = 3; // 3 is down

long Bind( char key, int function )
{
switch( key )
{
case 'W': nW = function; break;
case 'A': nA = function; break;
case 'S': nS = function; break;
case 'D': nD = function; break;
default: return FALSE;
}
return TRUE;
}

Crap this is turbo-forum...

Maybe somthing like this?

.lick

[edited by - Pipo DeClown on January 18, 2003 7:05:20 AM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!