Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

randomseed

Animation Issues

Ok so here is what I got: SDK sample "Skinned Mesh" code intergrated into my game for loading a mesh with a frame hierarchy, this was only neccesary for the animation controller I get from LoadMeshHierarchyFromX in directx 9.0. Here is my problem: I wanted to make a simple tank for a game that has a few different moving parts:wheels that rotate, turret that rotates and a barrel that moves up and down. I modeled the tank in max and it imported fine. Now for the animations, here is my problem if the turret rotates then the barrel moves how can I keep them connected to eachother and have them both run their animations at different times. So for example the tank might need to rotate its turret pi/4 rads then the barrel needs to move up a bit. So the idea is that when the turret moves the barrel stay connected...simple enough..but also that the barrel can move at any rotated state of the turret. What I need to know: If the solution involves the .x files having a frame hierarchy what options do I need to set up in max so that the exporter gets that hierarchy info? Of course some suggestions on possible solutions. Well thanx

If you want the barrel to move with the turret then you will need to make the barrel a child of the turret in Max. I don't know how exactly how this is done in Max (I'm a Maya guy) but once the child-parent heirarchy is set up in Max it should export to .x file just fine. You'll want the tank to be something like:

body
   ____|____
  |         |
wheels    turret
            |
          barrel

Good luck

[edited by - monkeyography on January 19, 2003 3:30:30 PM]