Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

phyl0men0

Engine Arrangement

Hi All How have you arrangend your engines? I''ve read in an article, that one of the best ways would be to make en executable engine and put the applications which use the engine in DLLs. But where would you put modules which would be used in the engine and in the app(for example logfiles). Would you make a static lib with these modules and link it to the engine and to the app? Isn''t that a bit bad? How have you organised your engine? Maybe you now an article about engine design/arrangement? thx phyl0men0

I chose the other way around : the engine is a DLL, and the game is an exe. I then do everything using virtual functions on inherited objects.

The engine has a series of headers that provide the base classes for inheritance. You then derive the "object" class to a car class, a plane class, a plasma-teapot-gun class or whatever in your game, and give it to an object manager owned by the engine, that will "render()" the object, "update()" the object, regardless of its real type (seen as exObject *, could be gamePlasmaTeapotGunAmmoPack_TeaForTwo *), and so on, using the virtual functions you provided when you created the object.

ToohrVyk
-------------
Extatica - a free 3d game engine
Available soon!
Click here to learn more