Direct X in C

Started by
6 comments, last by Dr Jeckl 21 years, 2 months ago
Is it possible to use the DirectX libraries in C. If not is there any game programming libraries for C. I''m trying to start simple so dont hate. It takes many to live but it takes one to die.
It takes many to live but it takes one to die.
Advertisement
Direct3D is an object-oriented API, but Direct3D does have a set of functions for C. OpenGL, on the other hand, was built entirely for C. OpenGL would be easier for you to find tutorials on because there are not only more OpenGL tutorials than Direct3D but also because it would be hard to find a way to learn the C version of Direct3D, whereas OpenGL''s only implementation is in C.
When you go homeTell them of us, and say:For your tomorrow,We gave our today.
thanks yo.

quote:Original post by elendil67
Direct3D is an object-oriented API, but Direct3D does have a set of functions for C. OpenGL, on the other hand, was built entirely for C. OpenGL would be easier for you to find tutorials on because there are not only more OpenGL tutorials than Direct3D but also because it would be hard to find a way to learn the C version of Direct3D, whereas OpenGL's only implementation is in C.

Replace every instance where you wrote Direct3D with DirectX and I'll be even more merry.

[edited by - masterg on January 18, 2003 7:38:11 PM]
masterghttp:/masterg.andyc.org
DirectX in C is possible and not that difficult if you know what you''re doing. You can find a few sample progs here: DirectX in C. These progs were written for use with the lccwin32 compiler system which is C only (no C++ but some C++ like extensions - references, operator and function overloading).
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
quote:Original post by elendil67
Direct3D is an object-oriented API, but Direct3D does have a set of functions for C.

Wrong, at least not entirely correct:

DirectX by itself is a COM API. It does not have specific functions for C nor for C++, it only ''knows'' COM. COM in the other hand does work on C, C++, VB, C# and lots of other languages.

To answer the OP:s question: Yes, it is possible to use DirectX in C.

Update GameDev.net system time campaign: ''date ddmmHHMMYYYY''
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics: Even if you win, you're still retarded.[How To Ask Questions|STL Programmer's Guide|Bjarne FAQ|C++ FAQ Lite|C++ Reference|MSDN]
Try again. As of DX 8.0 (IIRC), one of the DX modules was no longer usable in a C program. It was either DirectInput or DirectMusic. I can''t recall exactly. I do remember a big fuss about it from a few C programmers on the DX Dev list. The reason is that no C interface was provided for that particular module.
Thanks LessBread I checked the website out and checked out some of the DirectX Programs, and was familier with what was goin on in the code. But what about OpenGL can it really be used in C and can it be versitile in a C enviroment.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement