• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is BSP dead ?

This topic is 5570 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just wondering if BSP is dead in light of recent graphic hardware advancements ?

Advertisement
BSP can be used in combination with other, more powerful storage and rendering techniques quite successfully in certain places, but all by itself it won''t hold up for big, complex, outdoor, etc., geometry. People want something better-looking than Quake levels nowadays

I was refering to hidden surface removal, etc.

I was reading a doc on how modern cards ( ie. GeForce4 ) does this already. Or is the article wrong ?

If not a BSP tree then what other systems are there for cutting down the amount of non-visable polys ?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Yes, BSP and hidden surface removal are very different things.
BSP is used to segment a level into different areas such as corridors or rooms so that only the areas in the level that need to be rendered are rendered, and hidden surface removal is used so that any surfaces that are obscured by other surfaces when looking through the players camera are not needlessly rendered.

Luke

I was under the impression that using a BSP tree would enable you to determine which polys we visable thus removing the invisable ones.

well when you render a bsp tree from the back to the front or front to back depending on your view position then you remove hidden surfaces without depthbuffer

SO if you use a BSP level and use the hardware depthbuffer would you gain in performance, or would the BSP overhead cause you a loss in performance ?

• Advertisement