Just a thought-Good or bad idea?

Started by
7 comments, last by OstrichOfDestiny 21 years, 2 months ago
I''m in a tiny team, and just decided to make an RPG. Tell me if its original or not. A guy dies, and two spiritual entities of good and evil battle to determine whether he goes to heaven or hell. The good angel wants him to go to hell for his bad deeds. The bad demon wants him to go to heaven so he won''t disgrace hell. You can choose to be the good or bad entity. Special Abilities: Good: Pray-recover hp when still Bad-gain health and magic after killing the enemy and sucking out their souls. Thats jsut the story and another part. Is it a good start? So...how does this "reproductive system" of yours work? -Anonymous
______________________________"I was thinking of using WeightWatchers, but I decided I was out of their league."
Advertisement
I like the idea!
Is this based on any real religious dogma?

The reason I ask is that if based on Christian dogma, it doesn''t make sense. If God decrees a soul goes to hell, it goes to hell, and if Lucifer doesn''t want him, then I guess the soul goes into Limbo.

Also, even aside from a non-partisan religous standpoint, isn''t being good about being charitable, about pitying the weak, and granting mercy? If so, why would someone good want to cast someone into Hell? Imagine for a second if Jesus, instead of questioning why people wanted to stone an adulterer, picked up a rock himself and chucked a stone at her. And since Hell doesn''t want him, there must have been some kernel of good in him and the person is therefore worthy of redemption. Look at the story of Dr. Faust for what I mean. And evil being selfish shouldn''t really care about concepts like honor. At least not true evil.

Not trying to rip your idea apart, but give a little more background and make it logically reasonable why someone who claims to be good wish something evil on someone.
I like the idea, but if you play the good or bad deity (I like that word...) what would you do exactly? Would you try to seek out the other deity and destroy him, or would it be more of a political battle? Wish I could help with this.... it sounds SO promising.

Dr. Pepper: Offical Fuel of Game Development
Dr. Pepper: Offical Fuel of Game Development
It could be good, but just from whot you have there it is hard to tell. How does a battle between these spiritual entities decide this guy''s destiny? RPGs also seem to depend a lot on the story. If you can tell a good story about it I think just about any premise would work for an RPG. I recommend you take a look at the book _Good_Omens_ by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. Its actually about an angel and demon who are friends, but it should still make a good source for ideas.
Something simular to an idea I had.. Where the character gains "souls" after fights, and the use of those souls increases/decreases aspects of the user...

There were 2 main souls, good and evil, if you collected/used too many evil souls you would gain more power but people would dislike you, gaining too many good souls meant you were weaker but people loved you (discounts/more info/advice)....

The trick was that the player could create his own character through this system, and hopefully most people would have created a unique character, based on their choice of souls. Some would go good, others bad, some try to even it out...
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
The reason I ask is that if based on Christian dogma, it doesn''t make sense. If God decrees a soul goes to hell, it goes to hell, and if Lucifer doesn''t want him, then I guess the soul goes into Limbo.

not sure about this... but there is no limbo thing in christian belief afaik. ( sure its called limbo?... sounds more like baccardi then the nirvana/void like stuff i think u''re talking of ... i think its called nimbus or limbus or smthing like that )
---- sig coming soon
If you read the Spawn comics, it's a different schema altogether. The concept of heaven and hell is in plenty of literary works, and games too, without having Christianity as an intended basis for it.

For example, if the universe were an office, heaven could be always being in meetings with agreeable, intelligent, attractive women, always having something witty to say, and hell would be sitting next to Bob beside the water cooler having to listen to his endless ramblings all day, with no Internet access.

[edited by - Waverider on January 19, 2003 4:20:12 PM]
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
The story is not based on any ceertain religion, just a central idea that when a person dies, his good and bad sides want to destroy each other to decide where the dead person goes (heaven/hell). Good has never been kind to evil, so it is pretty much an all-out war to destroy the opposite side and gain help from God or Satan to decide wher the person goes. If the person was good in life, his good side will probably win, if he was evil, his dark side will most likely conquer.

So...how does this "reproductive system" of yours work? -Anonymous
______________________________"I was thinking of using WeightWatchers, but I decided I was out of their league."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement