Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bjmumblingmiles

Words I never want to see in a subject:

The following words always alert me to a thread that will be a complete waste of my time: dead, vs, why, "simple program" anyone agree? not trying to offend anyone...but i have noticed that most threads with those words in the subject have no redeeming conversations or questions. lol tell me what you think Brian

Add to the list of boring subjects any containing the word "I". Also, any string containing punctuation marks repeated several times (as in "!!!" or "????" or ".....") generally gets translated to "Stay away!" by my brain.

quote:
Original post by Beer Hunter
I''m surprised you didn''t mention "help" or any variation of "newbie".

I''ve seen very few "newbie" or "help" threads without a (at least somewhat) valid question.

quote:
Original post by Beer Hunter
This post asks a valid question - does that mean that it would have been worth my time to respond?

which is why i didnt include help...this post is not against people looking for help...its the people with topics that help no one, including the poster...and those words seem to always set those posts off...so im not sure about help but maybe newbie, because anyone who calls themself a newbie obviously hasnt done their homework...so newbie is definately on

Brian

edit: typo

[edited by - bjmumblingmiles on January 19, 2003 3:21:23 PM]

you forgot "penis".

So anyways, in this sense, 4 dimensions is no good to live in, if you want to think about living in a different world, try 5.
pouya

How many threads like that have you looked at, where the person is actually trying to ask a question, but they don''t know what they are asking. Some people use the forums to weigh up what they should learn.. sure using ''vs'' is a bad idea, but when they ask they don''t realise that many flame wars have begun and ended on the pro''s and con''s of DX and OGL. Let them ask their questions.. it should be for the rest of the community to guide them, if you don''t wanna help guide them, don''t answer, its VERY easy to ignore a post.

=*=
If things seem bad, think that they can get a whole load worse, and they don''t seem so bad anymore

=*=

"Urgent". I hate it when people think their posts are more important than others. It''s right up there with cross-posting and shameless bumping by posting "bump" or ".".

Helpful links:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Google can help with your question | Search MSDN for help with standard C or Windows functions

quote:
Original post by bjmumblingmiles
dead, vs, why , "simple program"

Yeah... what's up with people asking questions?

edit: lowered flame from about 60% to about 30% [realized that i shouldn't be quite so pissed off]

[edited by - TempusElf on January 20, 2003 10:23:13 AM]