• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nathany

MMX books/resources?

This topic is 6924 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I''m planning to learn about MMX to write a 2d graphics engine under DirectX. I already know some ASM from the good ol'' days of DOS. Anyway, what I''m wondering is if anyone has read any good books on the subject, or has any useful URLs. I''m not too interested in Katmai or 3DNow! at this point, but if there is a good book that covers all 3, please do recommend. Also, a good book on optimizing code that includes info on MMX would be good too. For now, I''m going to wonder over to intel.com in search for cryptic references Thanks much, - n8 nathany.com

Advertisement
I found the Intel reference .pdf files pretty useful.

They have a manual that is specifically for optimization and there is a lot of relevant material on MMX and SIMD.

I don''t remember the exact url though, but it wasn''t that hard to find.

quote:
Original post by nathany

I''m not too interested in Katmai or 3DNow! at this point, but if there is a good book that covers all 3, please do recommend. Also, a good book on optimizing code that includes info on MMX would be good too.

You mention 3DNow! as in AMD right? I thought that was just an accelerator on the CPU to speed up polygon construction / pre-rendering garb. Or am i wrong? Does it require "special" coding to use it?

jumble
---------------
"Witty comment needed for signature. Current owner has no sense of humour"

quote:
Original post by jumble
You mention 3DNow! as in AMD right? I thought that was just an accelerator on the CPU to speed up polygon construction / pre-rendering garb. Or am i wrong? Does it require "special" coding to use it?

That''s basically what it is, and it does require "special" coding. If you use the transformation engine in Direct3D, that special coding is done for you.

3DNow is similar to "Katmai". SIMD (single instruction, multiple data) support for floating point values... which is useful for translating, rotating, etc. multiple vertices in a 3d object.

I don''t actually know how you code this stuff though. I still need to learn how to code the FPU and MMX in assembly!

- n8

nathany.com

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!