• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adaptive Tessellation

This topic is 5509 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello. I have decided to give DirectX 9''s adaptive tesselation a go, but I have no clue where to start. After a quick look in the docs, it looks like microsoft may have made it overly complicated. First thing I need is an ID3DXPatchMesh interface. This is where my first question comes in. There is the function D3DXLoadPatchMeshFromXof, but no D3DXLoadPatchMeshFromX. Any ideas why not? Lets say I have loaded the mesh from a file. Thats great, but the docs say I need to call the D3DXCreatePatchMesh function - they dont even mention the loading function. How does this fit in with the loading function? Do I need to call both? After I have created the patch mesh, how do I draw it? The ID3DXPatchMesh has no rendering functions. Sorry if this obvious, I don''t have any experience with patch''s and their likes. Thanks.

Advertisement
Having not read the Dx9 SDK I can''t be of any real use... however, the function D3DXLoadPatchMeshFromXof might indicate that the loader only expects patches to be part of some larger structure. i.e. the X file is a model or world, and the patch is a subset (Xof) that data. This would be a reason for the absence of D3DXLoadPatchMeshFromX.

• Advertisement