Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sheep

Adaptive Tessellation

Hello. I have decided to give DirectX 9''s adaptive tesselation a go, but I have no clue where to start. After a quick look in the docs, it looks like microsoft may have made it overly complicated. First thing I need is an ID3DXPatchMesh interface. This is where my first question comes in. There is the function D3DXLoadPatchMeshFromXof, but no D3DXLoadPatchMeshFromX. Any ideas why not? Lets say I have loaded the mesh from a file. Thats great, but the docs say I need to call the D3DXCreatePatchMesh function - they dont even mention the loading function. How does this fit in with the loading function? Do I need to call both? After I have created the patch mesh, how do I draw it? The ID3DXPatchMesh has no rendering functions. Sorry if this obvious, I don''t have any experience with patch''s and their likes. Thanks.

Having not read the Dx9 SDK I can''t be of any real use... however, the function D3DXLoadPatchMeshFromXof might indicate that the loader only expects patches to be part of some larger structure. i.e. the X file is a model or world, and the patch is a subset (Xof) that data. This would be a reason for the absence of D3DXLoadPatchMeshFromX.