Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Useful

Raindrops, How?

I was just playing mechassault on the xbox and I stumbled upon a demo for quantum redshift. When you are on the water the spray comes up and hits you in the face producing some real pretty looking water drops on the tv. How is this done? Is it some sort of bump map masking?

I personally haven''t seen this demo but if I had to guess on how to make cool looking water on a clear surface (the camera).. I would have to say a complex sprite or series of sprites would do the trick.

kvasir, big marketing guy, you get money for this? you can do this from the standard radeon up, you can do it from a gf3 up, really no need for a gfFX for doing that. simple envbump, i guess (as xbox has gf3 in)

and for the suggestion with the vertex shader: actually its a perpixel effect, and in the end, a image-post-process (happens in camera space). so vertexshaders don''t really do this very well. (you can hack something together, sure.. but they are not thought for this.. the only reason nvidia always shows vertexshader demos for such stuff is because their pixelshaders can''t do very much.. check the ati page to see they do most of the stuff at perpixel level. check the radeon9700 to see those effects realtime (while gfFX is not out, its the only card for complex perpixelshading), and see that vertexshaders are not ment for that task..)

anyways, i bet its simple envbump..

"take a look around" - limp bizkit
www.google.com

Guest Anonymous Poster
How would a partical system have anything to do with haveing raindrops on the camera, Are you thinking about haveing RAIN coming down or did you not read the entire post?

Guest Anonymous Poster
I read the post, I understand the idea of a fake 2D image of a refractive liquid, you''re still going to need a mathematical particle system to find the placement of the beautifal flying water, unless it''s supermario bros.