Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JasperW

Sega Genesis "Mode 7"

I''m really curious about the following. According to some technical information about the Genesis I dug up on the net, the Genesis only has 2 character backgrounds that cannot be scaled and / or rotated. Also the sprites can''t be scaled or rotated. So how is it possible then that Sonic the Hedgehog features a rotating background in the bonus levels? And how are racing games like Outrun created? Because for some type of mode 7 effect you''ll need some rotating backgrounds, I thought. Or is it all done in software rendering? That''s pretty amazing considering it only has an 8 Mhz CPU. Well, thanks in advance for helping out. Jasper

If you try some of the better emulators, theres often options to toggle the various hardware graphics layers off and on. If I remember correctly there was 2 general purpose layers but with high/low settings and a whole bunch of priority bits for layering sprites correctly. There was also a ''window'' layer as well (intended for Hud''s) but with some fancy trickery many more layers could be made possible.

Most rotating effects were done though shearing in both x and y axies - no pre-rotated sprites in the Sonic bonus levels If you try it in some of the less feature complete emulators you can often see that the sprites just move but don''t rotate..