Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hammerstein_02

ColorKeying

SDK: DirectDraw7 Language: C++ Quick overview of what I am doing.. I have an animation object, basically I use two directdrawsurfaces one for the main, then cut the piece out of it for the frame of animation which I return to my drawing object. I use BltFast to put the source image onto my destination one and then return that surface. What I want to do is have a transparent colour, so I have written a function in my graphics object like so:

bool cGraphics::SetSurfaceTransparency(LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE7 surf, int r, int g, int b)
{
	DDCOLORKEY	ddcKey;

if(surf)
	{
		ddcKey.dwColorSpaceHighValue = RGB(r,g,b);
		ddcKey.dwColorSpaceLowValue = RGB(r,g,b);

if(FAILED(surf->SetColorKey(DDCKEY_SRCBLT, &ddcKey)))
			return(false);
	}

return(true);
}

So I call this from my animation object with my drawing surface (the one I blit too) and nothing.. nothing appears on the screen. My drawing procedure doesn''t fail:

if(FAILED(m_lpDrawSurface->BltFast(0,0, m_lpMainSurface, &srcRect, m_Flags)))
		{
			sprintf(buffer, "Animation failed");
			return(NULL);
		}

because nothing appears in my log file. PLease help me, what am I doing wrong? =*= If things seem bad, think that they can get a whole load worse, and they don''t seem so bad anymore =*=

I got it working eventually, it came down to the colour.

It was 0,67,171

I changed it to 255,0,255

and it worked.. go figure.. what was I doing wrong?

=*=
If things seem bad, think that they can get a whole load worse, and they don''t seem so bad anymore

=*=

using the rgb macro isnt compatible with all bitdepths...certain values like 0,0,0 or 255,255,255 will always work because it will just come out to be a max or minimum value, which happens to be white and black in all bit depths. I''ve seen a few methods for getting around this...you can get the pixel format for yourself, or you can plot a pixel the color you want to use then get that value from the surface...something like that, but you can always be safe with black

Brian