being smart

Started by
18 comments, last by inuendo1 21 years, 2 months ago
quote:having a good memory is part of it.. BUT you MUST learn math. u can''t study math.. when a lot of people tell me. Hey i need to study for my math test. I keep asking myself why these people need to study it.. math is just like you learn to walk,dress and etc.

I consider myself to have a pretty good memory but I''m sure that if I had an even better memory, I could be even "smarter" and ace every test. There is just so much to remember. On my final in math, it spanned everything we had done up until that point... things like Taylor Series, sequences, volume, blah blah, but my point is that it was a lot to remember. I think the word smart is often misused. If I had a photographic memory (and therefore memorize the book) I''m sure I could get 100% on every test. This doesn''t make me truly "smart" though.
Peon
Advertisement
so u dont need to be smart u just need;
1- to be good at maths?
2- no what yur doing?
3- lots of money for bribes?
Yay im new!c++ = c2? yar newbus!!!
And it probably wouldnt hurt to have a foot-fetish if you wanna do gameprogramming, since suckin the toes of Hail Hill-Billy Gates might get you a license to develop for the next monopolistic platform - the X-Box. "Me so holny."

----PATRIOTISM----

“Beware the leader who bangs the drums of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor, for patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind. And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the citizenry. Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and blinded by patriotism, will offer up all of their rights unto the leader and gladly so. How do I know? For this is what I have done.
And I am Caesar.”

— Julius Caesar
------------------------Why of course the people don’t want war. ... That is understood. But after all it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship ...Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country. [Herman Goering]
quote:Original post by xaxa
Original post by Metal Typhoon
math is just like you learn to walk,dress and etc.

If you see life as math, then, poor you.

/xaxa kiss your forehead and gives you a candy.

heheheh .. i didn''t compare with life but i did say that it must be a step in life which you can''t let it pass owww shit that was a beautiful speech :D
Metal Typhoon
Intelligence has nothing to do with test scores and math equations. Being smart is a matter of knowing what you can and can''t do and using that knowledge to solve problems. All perceived intelligence stems from such self-knowledge.

If you believe in your self, and I mean with all of your heart, to the point where you give everything you have all the time and KNOW IT, you will certainly be in the top 1% of intelligent people in this world. If not, you will be just like everybody else...lazy.
wow /\ smart man...

There is a girl in my school who gets like straight A+''s and everyone looks at her like a genius. Yet she cannot tell time on an analog clock. Her commen sense is that of a banana. I''m not very in my history class and I am not good at writing but when it comes to math, science and computer science, I am semi-smart. I apply what I learn from each course, to each course and it turns out all happily in the end.

I was typing a presentation with my friend one day and I was making horrible errors like spelling ''and'' wrong, and then when I was writing a line of code in the presentation, I typed it out in 5 seconds flat with no errors. My friend looked at me and was like ''wtf!?''.

So yea, that''s my two cents.

<- Digital Explosions ->
"Discipline is my sword, faith is my shield
do not dive into uncertainty, and you may live to reap the rewards" - (Unreal Championship)
i guess im quite intelligent for my age but all this maths is starting to piss me off
Eat more McDonalds. If you can calculate the net price (including all taxes) on the fly, then you are very good.
-------
Intelligence has nothing to do with test scores and math equations
It has something to do with test scores... minimal at least.
-------
Being smart is a matter of knowing what you can and can''t do and using that knowledge to solve problems. All perceived intelligence stems from such self-knowledge.
Isn''t that... we call wisdom?
-------
If you believe in your self, and I mean with all of your heart, to the point where you give everything you have all the time and KNOW IT, you will certainly be in the top 1% of intelligent people in this world.
... until you reach that stage, that is.
-------
anyway, my definition of smart means someone with great ability adapting dynamic changes on everything.
"after many years of singularity, i'm still searching on the event horizon"
thx peeps sonme of thos replies crack me up
quote:I was typing a presentation with my friend one day and I was making horrible errors like spelling ''and'' wrong, and then when I was writing a line of code in the presentation, I typed it out in 5 seconds flat with no errors. My friend looked at me and was like ''wtf!?''.

lol
Yay im new!c++ = c2? yar newbus!!!
quote:
do i have to be really smart to be able to program
i guess im quite intelligent for my age but all this maths is starting to piss me off

The vast majority of programming does not require any mathematics beyond algebra. Graphics programming requires linear algebra (which is essentially a way to write loads of normal algebra in less space) and some geometry. Advanced graphics and simulations require advanced calculus to solve, but solutions are readily available so you may not need to know much calculus to make use of them.

The most important aspect of programming is being able to clearly identify and define a problem from a nebulous description of desired qualities - to factor-out the constants, and write code for the variables.

quote:Peon
I''ve always thought about a "relative" word (at least from what I''ve seen so far in high school) To do well on tests, you don''t need to be "smart", you just need to have a good memory That being said though, I think you do need to be "smart" for programming, and definetly be able to think logically through
problems. Oh, almost forgot... PATIENCE too... grrr, lol

It depends on the test. You may not even need a good memory, just work harder or longer to learn and remember it. You can test knowledge, and you can test intelligence. Intelligence test are not suppose to test your knowledge. The questions they ask are suppose to contain all the information needed to solve the problem. They test whether or not you can deduce the answer from the information given. They also tend to assume that you can read directions, which was often a problem for me

Without even explicitly stating the question, nor even if you know English (it may actually be a hindrance to know English), many can answer the following:

XLTV

CSOU

NYHKA

BDRPT

(The implied question, is what do these characters have in common - if you asked what comes next, the reader would need to know the alphabet.)

quote:Metal Typhoon
having a good memory is part of it.. BUT you MUST learn math. u can''t study math.. when a lot of people tell me. Hey i need to study for my math test. I keep asking myself why these people need to study it.. math is just like you learn to walk,dress and etc.

Many people don''t see it like that. Eventually you may reach your ''math threshold'' where you also fail to see it like that. I struggled a great deal with differential equations, it was the first time I could not complete the example problems faster than the teacher could explain them. I had to switch modes, stop thinking in class, and copy everything down that he said or wrote for later review where I could work out the problem in my mind at a slower pace.
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
quote:Original post by Krisc
There is a girl in my school who gets like straight A+''s and everyone looks at her like a genius. Yet she cannot tell time on an analog clock. Her commen sense is that of a banana.

[Different AP from above]

If she is rather socially arkward, finds eye contact difficult, has bad handwriting & dosn''t like being touched aswell, chances are she has Autism Spectrum Disorder / High Fuctioning Autism / Asperger''s Syndrome.

If she displays most of those I recommend you suggest that she reads about Asperger Syndrome.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aspergers.html?pg=1&topic=&topic_set=

Real interesting read, was where I first found out why I''m so different from everyone else, would of been better if I had known as a child though :-(.

Might want to take the test with it before you read the article though, to avoid any bias :-P.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aqtest.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement