• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Damocles

finding the sin/cos of a point on a circle

This topic is 5662 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I need to know how, if you had a circle as x,y,r and a point in 2d space of x,y which will reside somewhere on the perimeter of the circle - how can I get the sin/cos values of that point relative to the centre? That probably doesn''t make much sense, so here''s what I''m doing: I''m making a 2D game and the baddies in the game will have spherical shield systems. I want to make these look reeel purdy by making it so when a projectile strikes the shield, I get the point of impact and then generate multiple particles at that point. these particles will then spread out across the shield sphere to make a nice shield hit effect. I have figured out how to make the particles move around the sphere''s surface using sin/cos but I can''t figure out how to get the initial sin/cos values once I have established the point of impact. Anyone understand me and can help please? Also, I only need to get the sin/cos for the x/y of the impact. Being a 2D game we can chuck the z vector and assume all impacts occur at the equator line of the shield.

Advertisement
It''ll try to draw a picture to make this easier to understand:

o (x2,y2)
/|
len=r / | len=(y2-y1)
/ |
(x1,y1)O---o (x2,y1)
len=(x2-x1)

(x1,y1) being the center of your circle, (x2,y2) being the point on the perimeter...

So, assuming you want to find the sin/cos/tan of the angle at (x1,y1) You would use the following forumulas sin(angle)=opposite/hypotenus cos(angle)=adjacent/hypotenus and tan(angle)=opposite/adjacent

For the angle at (x1,y1), "adjacent" or the length of the adjacent size, is (x2-x1), opposite is (y2-y1) and hyp. is "r"
So sin(angle) = (y2-y1)/r cos(angle)=(x2-x1)/r and tan(angle)=(y2-y1)/(x2-x1)

Finding the angle itself is as easy as taking the inverse sin/cos/tan of the result

Here''s a routine to return an angle, if (x1, y1) is the origin of your circle and (x2, y2) is a point on the circle.

double getAng(double x1, double y1, double x2, double y2)
{
double x = x2 - x1;
double y = y2 - y1;
double dist = sqrt(x * x + y * y);

double ang = acos(x / dist);

if (y >= 0)
return ang;
else
return -ang + 2 * PI;
}

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!