• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

voodoo

Base of 3d engine complete, what now?

This topic is 6923 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, I have complete the base of my 3D engine which is in OpenGL. It is very crued! Bassicly I have a window class witch creates as many windows as I need and a bassic OpenGl class witch will let me set up opengl the way I want change screen res etc.. Once I init thoses to windows I am capable of rendering triangles in opengl and have then spin etc... The question is what next?? I thought maybe starting of with a terrain system... And please dont send me to a link, last time tried reading one of thoses theories or what evers on terrains I had a brain meltdown I am pretty good at programming a I know bassics of linked lists etc... But once those docs start throwing the terms around! Thats when the end of the world is comming!

Advertisement
Hahaha, I agree with you there. I've been programming for twenty years, and recently, most 'helpful' programming articles seem more interested in obfuscating than in actually helping! I understand that you need a certain base vocabulary to communicate, but is it necessary to say "Alpha blending" when you mean "transparency" and "gamma ramp" when you mean "brightness table?"

As to your question-- put one of your 'players' on the screen first, and make him run around or do whatever you need him to do-- in a completely empty environment. This first step will get you thinking about the 3d stuff, and give you a clearer understanding of the next step, which is to put the environment in.

-- Goodlife

-----------------------------
Think of your mind as a door on a house. Leave the door always closed, and it's not a house, it's a prison. Leave the door always open, and it's not a house, it's a wilderness-- all the vermin creep in.

Edited by - Goodlife on May 9, 2000 12:11:54 PM

So I guess, you saying that I should startt of with a charecter system of some sort?

Keep in mind so far I can only display opengl commands, I have no triangle class, there no clipping or portal or anything...

I am aiming ofr a terrain bassed engine

You should try to implement some neat features. I''ve gotten some good replies in the GDNET LOUNGE. Look for "Features that make you OOO" and "Eyecandy that makes you OOO"

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!