Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ares32585

2D vs 3D for a Tycoon-type Game

What benefits are there for using a 2D engine vs. a 3D engine in a tycoon-type game? For example, Simcity switched over to 3d back with Simcity3k. What benefits would they gain by using a 3d engine rather than a 2d engine? What benefits would there be sticking with a 2d engine? Thanks for any information you can give on this matter.

I''m working on a similar sort of game (2d, but with a decent 3d engine), and we were trying to decide between a 3d engine and a 2d engine a while back, and here''s why we decided 3d....

3D engine allows you to have better camera controls, you can spin 360 around, whereas in a 3d game you''d be lucky to get 4 different views...

Heightmaps/Terrain... You can easily implement a sort of heightmapping system in 3d... terrain engines are ease as cheese to code, and they look great to boot.

Special Effects... The game that I''m working on has it''s own particle system, and a really great special effects library, all through using muli-pass rendering through OpenGL.. Completely not possible with a 2d engine...

Other than those few things, the game pretty much is structured like a 2d game..... we have tile maps..... actually... I guess that''s about all that''s the same...

-Mr.Oreo

Yeah, that''s pretty much what I had been thinking. I''ve pretty much decided on a 3D engine and, in order to possibly save some time, I''m looking into using the Crystal Space 3D engine as I read somewhere that it has a isometric engine plugin. But we''ll see if it will actually does what I want. Thanks for your input!