What does this do int **baken

Started by
5 comments, last by Leadorn 21 years, 2 months ago
I’ve never understood this double **. Is it a pointer to a second pointer that points forward to a third variable. [edited by - leadorn on January 19, 2003 1:51:42 PM]
Advertisement
yes. You understood it.

Jacob Marner, M.Sc.
Console Programmer, Deadline Games
Jacob Marner, M.Sc.Console Programmer, Deadline Games
So it automatically goes forward when reaching a double pointer. Can I user triple....?

Cant get it to work, can you give me an example please?
You can use them to dynamically allocate 2d arrays

int **myl33tArray;myl33tArray = new int*[ARRAY_WIDTH];for (int i = 0; i < ARRAY_WIDTH; i++)    myl33tArray = new int[ARRAY_HEIGHT];<br> </pre> <br><br>Access it like: myl33tArray[2][4] = 100;<br><br><SPAN CLASS=editedby>[edited by - glassJAw &#111;n January 19, 2003 2:26:57 PM]</SPAN>    
that remeinds me of 2d arrays...
I have one more q!

if i use your 2d array, is this the correct way to deallocate the array?

allocint **Map;Map = new int*[ARRAY_WIDTH];for (int i = 0; i < ARRAY_WIDTH; i++)    Map[ i ] = new int[ARRAY_HEIGHT];dealloc	for (unsigned int i = 0; i < ARRAY_WIDTH; i++)	{			delete [] Map[i];	}		delete [] Map;  
One more use for pointers to pointers is in linked lists.

Normally you would have the following to add a member to a link-list...

if (pFirst == NULL)    pFirst = pNew;else{    STRUCT *p;    p = pFirst;    while (p->pNext != NULL)         p = p->pNext;    p->pNext = pNew;}pNew->pNext = NULL;  

Or you could have the following, which removes the special case for the head of list...

STRUCT **ppNext;ppNext = &pFirstwhile (*ppNext != NULL)    ppNext = &((*ppNext)->pNext);*pNext = pNew;pNew->pNext = NULL;  

PS: Yes you can have triple pointers, or for that matter quad-pointers, or an depth of pointers to pointers.

[edited by - Beelzebub on January 31, 2003 5:44:32 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement