Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dario

Rpg Battle Engine Question

Hi, how are you all doing, Im creating a battle engine, and i was hoping someone could help me out with a problem im having. Its a sideview battle engine, and the problem im having is I cant seem to come up with a way to decide whose turn it is. For example lets say there are two heroes on your team and your facing one enemy. The way i want to do it, is where the persons turn is determined by their agility. So lets say Hero 1 has an agility of 15, Hero 2 an agility of 5 and the monster an agility of 10, in the English Language how would i determine whose turn it is next? It would be easy to determine this if these heroes were always in your team, but what if they arent? I appreciate any help i could get Dario

CREATE LIST TO HOLD HEROES AND MONSTERS

FOR EACH OBJECT NOT IN THE LIST
ADD OBJECT TO LIST, SO THAT ITS AGILITY IS GREATER THAN ALL THOSE AFTER HIM, AND LESSER THAN ALL THOSE BEFORE HIM.

(google for insertion sort)

WHILE THE BATTLE IS NOT FINISHED
FOR EACH OBJECT IN THE LIST
IF OBJECT IS A MONSTER
GENERATE NEXT MOVE USING AI
EXECUTE NEXT MOVE
ELSE
GET NEXT MOVE FROM PLAYER INPUT
EXECUTE NEXT MOVE

ToohrVyk
-------------
Extatica - a free 3d game engine
Available soon!
Click here to learn more

Oh ok i understand that, but uhh lets say i wanted to add a little more for example, lets say the enemies agility is 17 and the heroes agility is 8. How would i make it where the enemy gets two turns before the hero gets his turn because 8X2=16 which still is lower then the enemies agl.

Well, if you use a list of whose turn it is, its pretty easy.

Just have some storage variable with ''Agility'' in it, and subtract by some "base" factor, say 8 for the time being.

So lets build a list:

BASE LOOP:
1. Grab the next character in the list (If you want to, start with the Enemies or the Heroes)
2. Declare TempAgility = Current Character

NESTED LOOP INSIDE BASE LOOP:
.1 Subtract the base factor (8 from above) from TempAgility
.2 Add the current character to the bottom of the list
-------

That should do it. Build a list, its the best way.

Guest Anonymous Poster
you could have a percentage number, say 100, for each enemy and player. while the objects percentage number != 100, increment it by the agility every loop (or every 5 loops to slow it down) until it reaches 100. when the first player to hit his percentage reaches it, set a flag to accept input for that player. if the second hero reaches his percentage mark after the first while the first is accepting input, then after the first player has executed his move, check to see who else has a percentage of 100 to see who goes next. if you have multiple characters who have %100 after the first, then see who has the hightest agility to see who goes second, and so on. after each move, reset the percentage number and you start right back over.

it works just as well for the enemy, who will continue to fight the player as long as his % number is still being incremented, just reset it after each AI move.

Hope this helps.