Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Night Elf

Lightmapping

What would be the best way to implement lightmapping in DirectX 8? Should I use multi-pass or single-pass multitexturing? Besides, does anyone have any sample code I can look at showing lightmaps (or multitexturing) applied to meshes? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Well, I have implemented both solutions and so far I see the multitexturing one is the fastest.
For testing purposes, and since there are no exporters I know of that can output two coordinates sets form 3DS MAX to an .X file, I am loading two meshes (one textured normally and the other with the lightmap) and making another mesh in memory by merging the other two.
But now I have a problem. If there is only one lightmap for the whole mesh, it''s easy - I just set the lightmap texture in the second stage and render using a SetTexture() - DrawSubset() loop as always. But what happens if I have more than one textures for lightmapping? How do I go about applying the textures in both stages and calling DrawSubset()? Both textures group different polygons!