Short path finding

Started by
2 comments, last by Raduprv 21 years, 2 months ago
I came to the point where I have to implement some path finding for my MMORPG. The path finding will be on the server, so it has to be really fast. There are some requirements for it: 1. The paths will be small (the engine is isometric, and you can click only on the tiles around you, so that basically make the search array about 30x30) 2. The algoritm has to be really fast, I''d rather trade accuracy for speed. 3. The algorithm must take into consideration the fact that other players might block a previously walkable position. I did try to take a look at *A, but I didn''t understand too much... What I would like would be some pseudocode... Thanks in advance. Height Map Editor | Eternal lands
Advertisement
I found a pretty good A* site a while back that had some really helpful pseudo code. Let me see if I can dig it out...

http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~amitp/gameprog.html

There is definitely at least one link off that page that has lots of pseudo code.
Your paths are so small that I doubt you need to trade accuracy for speed.
Thanks for the responses, but I implemented it already. I used
A*, and optimized it a little to have store the f/g/h as integer, and not do any SQRT to find the h.

I wanted speed over accuracy because the path finding is done on the server, so if all the players try to move at once, the server will be seriously affected...

Height Map Editor | Eternal lands

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement