Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dr Jeckl

Good n00b tutorials for OpneGL in C

Can anyone give me some URLs on where there is some good tutorials on OpenGL using C. Ive done a search on google and usually come up with a whole bunch of crap. Any help would be nice, thanks. It takes many to live but it takes one to die.

If you want the entire Official Guide to OpenGL (The "Red Book"), which has some clean-cut tutorials in it aswell, go to the Silicon Graphics Institution Archives, here:Click this Hyperlink And then you can either try saving all of the chapters to disc or try printing them out. Yes, this is a published book, but why pay $50 when you could spend $30 on printer ink and paper? I think it's a great book, it covers everything for a beginner and keep on paying for itself by acting as a reference. There's no way you're going to remember every state variable. However, this book and any other strictly graphics programming book does not go as deep as explaining the lighting calculations to an Alg 2 level student, nor does it give the understandable B-Spline functions for NURBS (Non-Uniform Rational B-Spline Curves and Surfaces). What the book does show you how to implement are the gluNurbs Evaluator functions, which are superficial, I think. Along with the "Red Book" at SGI Server is the "Blue Book" which is THE Official Reference for the Pros. I still can't believe this literature is FREE - that is besides the paper money and/or eye strain. On top of that is an Optimization Guide for OpenGL, I'm excited too, I just discovered these open publications myself aswell. I would ponder that that Optimization Guide from the creators of OpenGL would be priceless to any serious Game Dever. Oh yeah, there are about 2,000 other publications, useless to me, but maybe important to a Unix Sys Admin that works at SGI. Let's see, there's a porting guide, several OS "RFC"s and 3rd party libraries. Tell me if this helped. Alse try to spread the word about this; I think some newbies have been cut out of the loop somehow.

[edited by - Californium on January 20, 2003 1:08:21 PM]

[edited by - Californium on January 20, 2003 1:09:47 PM]

[edited by - Californium on January 20, 2003 1:10:55 PM]

Did I mention that all the tutorials are in C? They are, but the ones mentioned by p4n1c (NeHe, and Game Tuts) require an understanding of C++ data structures which are called Object Oriented Programming Data Types. Learning C++ isn''t bad either, It''s very useful for games because of ''class''es. If anything, you need to do some research on classes. After you''ve learned C, CPP is nothing. When I started my CPP book, I skipped 500 pages because it''s the same damn ting. CPP can also get impractical sometimes.