Graphics with the Win32 API

Started by
4 comments, last by Jackysan 21 years, 3 months ago
I''m pretty new to programming in C++, but I''ve been learning for some time now. I''ve just started to learn about Windows programming (finally got most of the console stuff down!) and noticed that the Win32 API is quite powerful alone. I was wondering, for a very simple game that still requires graphics, do I need to bother using/learning DirectX or OpenGL? I want to try something simple here, and I plan on learning how to use these powerful tools in the future, but is it a must for a first game? Just a simple question! Thanks.
Advertisement
while you can do a very basic game in Win32 api/GDI...you just dont get the same performance, and directdraw is definately something you should learn eventually for 2d games. I made a couple of simple games in GDI first though, so you''ll be fine.

Brian
Brian J
while you can do a very basic game in Win32 api/GDI...you just dont get the same performance, and directdraw is definately something you should learn eventually for 2d games. I made a couple of simple games in GDI first though, so you''ll be fine.

Brian
Brian J

Brian
Brian J
My advice, drop that Win32 crap, all you need to know is how to change contexts and initialize a window anyway. The Win32 driver will get you nowhere because it''s not a graphics card interface. I mean, you won''t be taking advantage of hardwired GPU functions. Why do you want to make an obsolet Win32 game anyway. That''s not what Win32 is intended for anymore when you install Windows.
well it is good for learning...sorry about the repeated post...my wireless network is not completely reliable

Brian
Brian J

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement