Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just3D

Access Violation in an unusual spot...

My Level Editing utility has recently decided to cause access violations upon its exit. This has just occured recently, for in the past it was fine. When I exit it throws an access violation at address 0x00000010. Is this significant? Ususally it is at 0xFFFFFFFF indicating a NULL pointer, but the address is consistantly 0x10. My environment: Borland C++ Builder 4 (VCL Components included) DirectX 8 Everything works until I close it. Since this is just a level editor, it is not imparative for it to remain stable the entire time, but the AVs get quite annoying everytime I stop the program. Any help or suggestions are greatly appriciated.
"There are only three types of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can''t." Just3D Justin Nordin J Squared Productions www.jsquaredproductions.com

you may be accessing stuff through a null this pointer. as usual, use the call stack to see what's access violating, and look at values of pointers. if it's a member function, check this pointer before anything else.

[edited by - niyaw on January 20, 2003 2:06:00 AM]

Problem solved.

For future reference:

When I transferred my project to my current computer, Borland apparently had a great dislike for my scroll bar form objects. After deleting them and replacing them with simpler controls, it compiled fine and the AV went away, almost magically.

It was bad enough that even calling a particular form''s Show() function would cause the computer to crash and burn. It really didn''t like my scroll bars.

Well, I hope this helps if someone comes across it in the future.

Thanks to niyaw for his input as well.

"There are only three types of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can''t."

Just3D
Justin Nordin
J Squared Productions
www.jsquaredproductions.com