• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Link

Jim Adams ------------> Topic for you

This topic is 5712 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! i would buy your book Programming RPG with DirectX but i find these: http://www.gorilla.it/gorilla/product.asp?sku=1931841098&dept%5Fid= and http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931841098/qid%3D1043011116/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/002-6815581-9484832 are there some difference? Could you suggest other better or more new book? (I Think this is the better but you know more of me!) Also: Is in this book explained how make an 3D rpg step by step from A at Z? Import 3D character and world, move, jump....? THX THX

Advertisement
Same book - it''s just the book cover was redesigned at one point. The book covers using DirectX 8.0, but my website contains an update to use DX8.1.

My book shows how to create a 3-D engine, 2-D engine, mixed 2-D and 3-D engine, scripting, object and character control, plus much more. The book does come with a demo RPG w/full source code.

quote:
Same book - it's just the book cover was redesigned at one point.

so the pages are perfectly indentical ?

[edited by - Link on January 20, 2003 8:30:34 AM]

I have a question too, I didnt know who to ask and who better than the author...

I love the book, and read a lot of it already...I jump around to parts that interest me more than others..then i dive in and hack code and stuff...my question isnt a coding one, its more of a artistic one...

I have truespace 4.1, and know it can load x files but it has a problem loading the character .x files from (i think is the char demo..running around casting spells fighting in a small arena). I was curious what program could load and mess with .x file animations primairly? (like i said truespace 4.1 can do it, but it has real problems with animations and the characters dont load im guessing because of their animations)

What are some good programs/modelers that can handle this, i thought milkshape3d could do this, but it doesnt seem to be able to export (could of been import) .x files....

Any ideas?

-Shane

try amabilis'' 3d canvas if it works, it can import/export x file format complete with the animations and skinning infos,

What is 3d canvas?

However Jim Adams can you answare if the pages are perfectly indentical or there are some little difference?

[edited by - Link on January 20, 2003 8:48:07 AM]

I''m sorry i understand! I''m sorry
Another thing: With this book i will study directX 8.0, after with your site i update my knowless at 8.1. But when i will want stdudy DirectX 9.0 Do you thing there are lot''s of difference with from directX 8.1 to directx 9.0?

You should be able to use DX9.0 with little difficulty - there''s not much of a difference. The # of pages and the text are the same - the book cover that says DX8.0 is wrong - that''s the cover used during the design phase. It was actually published with the cover that doesn''t say 8.0.

Jim Adams

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!