Jim Adams ------------> Topic for you

Started by
25 comments, last by Link 21 years, 2 months ago
Mumble, grumble. my last error turned into 56. I changed all the directX related names and fixed the parameters and now I''m getting a ton of unresolved external symbol errors

Linking...
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _Direct3DCreate8@4
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXCreateSprite@8
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXMatrixPerspectiveFovLH@20
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXMatrixTranslation@16
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXMatrixRotationYawPitchRoll@16
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXMatrixScaling@16
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXMatrixMultiply@12
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXMatrixTranspose@8
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXMatrixRotationZ@8
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXMatrixRotationY@8
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXMatrixRotationX@8
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXCreateFontIndirect@12
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _DirectXFileCreate@4
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _IID_IDirectXFileData
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _IID_IDirectXFileDataReference
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _TID_D3DRMAnimationKey
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _TID_D3DRMAnimation
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _TID_D3DRMAnimationSet
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXCreateTextureFromFileA@12
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXComputeBoundingSphere@20
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXComputeBoundingBox@20
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXLoadSkinMeshFromXof@36
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _TID_D3DRMMesh
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _TID_D3DRMFrameTransformMatrix
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _TID_D3DRMFrame
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _TID_D3DRMAnimationOptions
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXCreateTextureFromFileExA@56
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXMatrixRotationQuaternion@8
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXQuaternionSlerp@16
Core_Graphics.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _D3DXGetFVFVertexSize@4
Core_Input.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _DirectInput8Create@20
Core_Input.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _IID_IDirectInput8A
Core_Input.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _c_dfDIJoystick
Core_Input.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _c_dfDIMouse
Core_Input.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _GUID_SysMouse
Core_Input.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _c_dfDIKeyboard
Core_Input.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _GUID_SysKeyboard
Core_Sound.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _GUID_DirectMusicAllTypes
Core_Sound.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _GUID_PerfMasterVolume
Core_Sound.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _CLSID_DirectMusicPerformance
Core_Sound.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _IID_IDirectMusicPerformance8
Core_Sound.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _CLSID_DirectMusicLoader
Core_Sound.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _IID_IDirectMusicLoader8
Core_Sound.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _DirectSoundCreate8@12
Core_Sound.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _IID_IDirectSoundNotify
Core_Sound.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _IID_IDirectSoundBuffer8
Core_Sound.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _GUID_StandardMIDIFile
Core_Sound.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _IID_IDirectMusicSegment8
Core_Sound.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _CLSID_DirectMusicSegment
Core_Sound.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _GUID_ConnectToDLSCollection
Core_Sound.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _GUID_PerfMasterTempo
Core_Sound.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _IID_IDirectMusicCollection
Core_Sound.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _GUID_DefaultGMCollection
Core_Sound.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _CLSID_DirectMusicCollection
LIBCMT.lib(crt0.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _main
Debug/game1.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 55 unresolved externals
Error executing link.exe.

game1.exe - 56 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Note: I made the same changes to a game made for chapter 20 and it compiled completely. I don''t see why my particular programm should be giving me this much trouble...
Stuff does programming things.
Advertisement
Did you include all the .libs?
Also, did you make your new project a win32 app? I''m wondering why you prog is trying to link a main?

pan narrans | My Website | Study + Hard Work + Loud Profanity = Good Code
Minister of Propaganda : leighstringer.com : Nobody likes the man who brings bad news - Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC), Antigone
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Perhaps it''s something to do with DirectX being fully backwards compatible with previous version, no?

Based on the above reply, I went back and tried building
the GameCore with the DX8 libraries included with DX9 SDK...
wow! I was stunned stupid. It actually worked. I did
get a bunch of errors at first because I didn''t include
the proper *.lib files. I also had to comment out the
the "GetIP" references in the Core_Network.h/Core_Network.cpp
just to get rid of some vague linker errors. At any rate,
the *.lib files that works for me are:

d3d8.lib d3dx8.lib dinput8.lib dsound.lib dplayx.lib dxguid.lib d3dxof.lib winmm.lib

...and of course the "/J" switch for the C++ option. I am
still getting the following warnings:

Core_System.h(44) : warning C4244: ''return'' : conversion from ''LRESULT'' to ''int'', possible loss of data
Core_System.h(44) : warning C4244: ''return'' : conversion from ''LRESULT'' to ''int'', possible loss of data
Core_Network.cpp(298) : warning C4267: ''='' : conversion from ''size_t'' to ''DWORD'', possible loss of data
Core_Network.cpp(632) : warning C4267: ''argument'' : conversion from ''size_t'' to ''const DWORD'', possible loss of data
Core_Network.cpp(721) : warning C4267: ''='' : conversion from ''size_t'' to ''DWORD'', possible loss of data

Heh, is there another C++ switch that I forgot to add similar
to the "/J" switch? These warnings are annoying...

At any rate, I have successfully compiled and ran chapter 12''s
MeshLvl example without any problem.

I''m gonna try chapter 12''s nodetree and chapter 20''s the
tower example next.

Oh, and thanks to the anonymous poster for clueing me in
on using DX8 with DX9 SDK..."so that''s why there are DX8*
files in the DX9 SDK''s include directory..."

- JC
Wahoo! Both the nodetree and the tower examples work!
There''s one issue with the tower example though.
After I beat the one monster in the village, I cannot
talk to any of the villagers or the guy on the bridge
in the next screen so I could not enter the tower to
see if the other parts of the game is working or not.

Has anyone here experience this? I''m using the updated
code downloaded from Jim''s website with the DX8.1 update.

''kay...I''m going to sleep now...

- JC
I''ve been gone for a while, so I missed most of this thread

The most common problems for the engine not picking up on clicked meshes is that the mesh/vertex buffer creation flags are set to write only, which throws off the D3DXIntersect function. Try searching for WRITEONLY flags and change them to 0 and see if that helps.

I was taught to start all my projects as a "Win 32 Console Application". should I do something differently to start a DirectX project from the book?

Afternoon, Feldar.

quote:I was taught to start all my projects as a "Win 32 Console Application".

Where''d you learn that?

Start the project as "Win32 Application" and you''ll do fine.
Just remember to add the correct libs to your project though.

Cheers,
Scronty
- "Has the world gone mad, or am I at work?"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement