Visibility systems in RTS

Started by
21 comments, last by Sandman 21 years, 2 months ago
That''s what I meant. There''s basically no room for scouting in current RTS games... I know your C3 is pretty important in real warfare, but it really isn''t implemented in current games. And just changing the visibility systems aren''t going to fix this by itself... You need some pretty dramatic changes.
Advertisement
people, people...
there was a game which was not perfect but for me it had the battle as it should be - The Close Combat Series: you have no limits to see anything, you can shoot everything whereever you see it, scounting is absolutely vital

of course this game could have been better but I liked the realistic combat which I think is the best combat model from all. well the game itself was repetaive too predictable etc. but it shows that one could feel as he is at war
quote:Original post by Spoonster
That''s what I meant. There''s basically no room for scouting in current RTS games... I know your C3 is pretty important in real warfare, but it really isn''t implemented in current games. And just changing the visibility systems aren''t going to fix this by itself... You need some pretty dramatic changes.

I like WarCraft 3 in this respect - it did the paper-rock-scissors thing well enough that scouting is ESSENTIAL! It''s possible to play many different strategies (once you are good enough anyways - n00b strats are fairly limited, but you dont have to be a lifer to play enough to get options), and (almost) every strategy has a complete counter. In addition, its possible to change your strategy if you find out what the enemy is doing (tho it gets hard the later you find out). It''s not perfect yet because balance is still lacking somewhat, but with the expansion that should change and it will hopefully become even better.

500 x 6
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement