Is age a problem?

Started by
25 comments, last by EnigmaZ 21 years, 2 months ago
Age in physical form doesn't always proportionate to learning capabilities. A more direct relation to learning capabilities are the mental 'age'... or what we call 'maturity' (well, a quite subjective one too)

Babies can't learn programming. That doesn't mean it is the age that stop them doing it, but it's the 'age' of the babies' mind that made them incapable of learning programming at that time. Nor all grandpa can learn programming language from scratch.

quote:
i was just wondering if it gets any harder for you to learn a programming language\gaming concepts as you get older.

No. It only get harder and harder if you learn it with a close-minded and feel bad if you know you are going to forget the ol'Bag of Tricks (tm) you had learned many years ago.

[edited by - DerekSaw on January 20, 2003 12:55:04 AM]
"after many years of singularity, i'm still searching on the event horizon"
Advertisement
I didn''t read all of it, but I think age doesn''t matter -- someone else mentioned maturity, and I agree. Also your schooling and stuff too. I couldn''t do what I do now without trig and calc (though I did try :D) Age itself though is just a unit of measurement man arbitrarily decided on. All time is (I think?)
Peon
Hi all,

Just thought I would add my words. I am 37, yup you read that right, and I am sure I am the oldest poster here, I challenge to those older out there!

I have been learning C++ on my own for about six months now and agree that age is a factor, in so much as I don''t have as much free time as say an teenager or young adult may have. That and the fact the the older you get the harder it is to learn new things.

But I think I am doing well, and with the help of my friend Will, a spry 13 year old, I am learning at a much quicker pace I think.

Anyone out there remember FORTRAN, Modula-2, or Tandy BASIC?

Thanks,
Don
Better to try and fail than to fail by not trying.
CaptCanada: Read the previous page, posted by LarryP. I am 47 so 10 years your elder. ;-)
Elvis said: You can't rent a Priscilla, but you can lease-a-Marie!
Yes.

Just kidding. Not as long as you''re willing to put in the effort; I''m guessing unless you''re starting to get senile that age won''t play a factor. With older people getting set in their ways (I''m thinking 60+) it''s probably more of an unwillingness to keep learning new things more often than not.
I think its an individual thing. I''m 31 but I''ve been programming on and off for 20 years (only just started on game development tho). Personally I find that the older I get, the better and faster I learn - i become more organised I guess.

Time is a problem but not my brain! I sure kick myself when I think about what i *could* have learnt in those 20 years if I had applied myself like I do now ....

Caroline M.
Caroline M
Well, I slack a little on the comments haha, it''s hard to for me! I got better in the past year though hehe.
-=CortePlaneta=-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement