Is age a problem?

Started by
25 comments, last by EnigmaZ 21 years, 2 months ago
i''ve been reading up on game development and programming in genral, and ive been finding that there''s alot of people out there who are in there late teens and already know various programming languages and lots of other information. i was just wondering if it gets any harder for you to learn a programming language\gaming concepts as you get older. (i am 18 and have a VERY basic knowledge of VB6)
Advertisement
well im 17 and i have just started to learn c++
as im 17 i guess i no quite alot about computers so i guess that helps alot but i still find it hard but i belive when i no c++ everything else will be a breeeze
Yay im new!c++ = c2? yar newbus!!!
From personal experience no (in consideration of myself and my old biker mate chums). I do notice a difference in the enthusiasm for learning something new though.

Al
quote:Original post by EnigmaZ
i was just wondering if it gets any harder for you to learn a programming language\gaming concepts as you get older.

No it doesn't get any harder to learn, but it can be a lot harder to find the free time you need in order to learn

I started late myself, and have only been programming for two years. I wish I'd started earlier but I don't think my age has posed a problem to learning.

pan narrans | My Website | Study + Hard Work + Loud Profanity = Good Code

[edited by - pan narrans on January 20, 2003 8:57:09 AM]
Minister of Propaganda : leighstringer.com : Nobody likes the man who brings bad news - Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC), Antigone
I wouldn't say it's easier , but generally the younger you are, the more effective your brain will be at absorbing what you learn. I am 14. My brain is a spunge.

You shouldn't have any problems at all being 18. It is a perfectly good time to learn.

:::: Lektrix ::::
[ Google || ACCU || BarrysWorld || E-Mail Me ]

[edited by - Lektrix on January 20, 2003 11:36:22 AM]
[ Google || Start Here || ACCU || STL || Boost || MSDN || GotW || CUJ || MSVC++ Library Fixes || BarrysWorld || [email=lektrix@barrysworld.com]E-Mail Me[/email] ]
quote:
I wouldn''t say it''s easier , but generally the younger you are, the more effective your brain will be at absorbing what you learn. I am 14. My brain is a spunge.

I would highly disagree with that, I''m 22 (not old I know), but I learn *much* better now than I ever have, my learning is far more structured and I have a large base of experience learning in many different fields to draw on.

quote:
but it can be a lot harder to find the free time you need in order to learn

That''s the key. Once you leave school/college/uni unless you go into a programming field you will find it very difficult to juggle a job and learning. That goes for anything, not just programming. (ie learn as much as you possibly can while in school )
I agree as long as you have the time to learn it''s easier as you are older.
Anyone think about how early you can start? I started at age 10 but learned nothing about hard core programming until I was around age 12... (I am 16 now...)

trying to post for the umteenth time!...

<- Digital Explosions ->
"Discipline is my sword, faith is my shield
do not dive into uncertainty, and you may live to reap the rewards" - (Unreal Championship)
I started at 13 and I learned QBasic, C++ (Limited to DOS programming knowledge, I may take up win32 soon.), Java, VB 5(eeks... I don't like it), VB .NET(much better) and I am thinking about taking up C# soon too... hmm.... and I am picking up DX 9 both managed and unmanaged(hopefully). I am currently 18 working on a CS Degree. I graduated a lil early... 17. I also am studying to get CCNA certification and A+ certification. So you are fine... really...

[edit] I guess if you mean scripting languages I've learned HTML, &#106avascript, 3DML(I think you have to pay to use this anymore. It was from a company called Flatland), and VRML. If you are refering to any other media I've also used and learned Flash 4 through Flash MX. I've learned how to use Photoshop 6.0 and 7.0. and 3D Studio MAX R3 and R4(and I may soon purchase R5).

I study a lot, I really don't have time for anything else.

Why sleep? You can do that when your dead.

(Hope you don't mind if I borrow this: )

[edited by - DocKode on January 23, 2003 11:33:17 PM]
Why sleep? You can do that when your dead.(Hope you don't mind if I borrow this: )
thanks guys, thats a really helped me out. i went out and grabbed one of those c++ for dummies books and im sure im gonna get alot more.

oh one more question, would you recomend trying to teach yourself c++ from a book or would it be better to take a course.
thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement