Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MENTAL

Navigating inside or outside of volumes?

Right, i''ve been working on the AI for my demo for quite a while, but all of the fighting has been taking place on a flat plane with a few obsticles in the way. It''s now time to test it in a proper scenario, but i''m having trouble deciding whether to keep the bot inside a set of bounding volumes, or keep him outside the volumes (this is for navigation purposes, not proper collision detection). Inside: How to deal with overlapping volumes (all volumes will overlap). If i cast a ray out which passes through 3 volumes, it will stop at the first and report this as far as it could go. I somehow need a way for it to say "if i''m outside this volume, am i in another?". This could get quite expensive after a while, and isn''t really an elegent solution. Outside: navigation is easy. If i hit something, move back a little. The only hard part is determining where exactly it''s possible to walk to! Staying inside a set of volumes is much harder than staying outside them! any suggestions? The volumes will be either axis aligned bounding boxes or spheres. Thanks in advance, PS: i''m not precomputing any other volume information apart from it''s dimentions and size, so i cant create an internal representation of "linked" volumes, like Q3A.

Actually, either way sounds like such a hassle that you''re probably not using the appropriate solution for you problem. It''s Q3''s AAS without the advantages.

How about a grid, or a set of waypoints istead?

A lot depends on the density of obstacles, and the complexity of the environment. You may not need a terrain model at all (reactive movement).

Alex

Artificial Intelligence Depot - Maybe it''s not all about graphics...