need some help regarding creating a framework for game programming

Started by
6 comments, last by jiajia123 21 years, 2 months ago
now currently doing a project and suppose to produce a framework using components of directX which can be used to create a game read thru the book "Game Programming Using DirectX" saw a few post on gurus having code their own frameworks a few questions? 1. how does these frameworks differ from the original directX code, i mean what purpose does it serve? 2. any good website or source for mi to read and learn? 3. how can one make a framework really original...i mean i thought of explaining in this manner... DirectX is like a an engine that can create alphabets A, B ....Z but the framework allows us to form words such as BUS....ACT..ie framework can be even bettered by allowing formation of even longer words...etc.. can i explain it this way? 4. any other books to recommend? thanks a million...
Advertisement
i''m not english, but i''ll try to explain this for you.

directX ( and OpenGL .... too ) is just an API ( application programming interface ).

In the early versions ( I think ) it only gave you a fast way to draw pixels.

Then its extended to handle 3D, so it could be used to transform and render triangles.

today ( without D3DX ) it makes you possible not deal with handling the video card directy with thousands of assembly code, because DX does it for you

DirectX is not an engine. if D3DX isn''t exist, you can''t handle even meshes. An engine is that dll or something, which allow a higher level program to draw a map or a player model etc. with fewer and easier calls.

for example:

engine: give command to load a map, and load some weapon, and models with few lines of code
^^^^^^^^^^
directx: you call one of its functions to draw vb contents
^^^^^^^^^^
base: |computercode commands to the video card from DirectX dlls.|
|for example vertex datas, and texture pixels... |

i hope you understood that

is a valid and reasonable project target to aim to produce a framework and a simple demo game within a month...or more time is needed?

a friend told mi for a experienced programmer..perhaps 2 weeks is enough...and it is not easy to justify that the framework is yours cause many people have already done...

have experience in C++, Java

have also read up a bit on Windows Programming and DirectX

i mean...is it easy to convince others that this is a true solo effort and not done by someone else?

is a valid and reasonable project target to aim to produce a framework and a simple demo game within a month...or more time is needed?

a friend told mi for a experienced programmer..perhaps 2 weeks is enough...and it is not easy to justify that the framework is yours cause many people have already done...

have experience in C++, Java

have also read up a bit on Windows Programming and DirectX

i mean...is it easy to convince others that this is a true solo effort and not done by someone else?

another question..

i have read thru some DirectX codings and Window programming stuff.. but to say create a frame work as a project...How do i start? any tips...

read thru Jim Adams...Game Prog with DirectX

will want to create a framework with components:
1. System (for initiazation and creating a window)
2. Input (DirectInput)
3. Graphics (OpenGL)
4. network (DirectPlay)
5. sound (Direct Audio)

can i create each separately and test it before goin on to another...better and more systematic rite?..problem is i dun know where to begin..in wat order...and worried that too much time will be spend on each part..

will want to create a simple demo game at the end...after creating such a framework....will coming up with a simple game be easy.....most prob 2D to be simpler..
Note: This forum has a no-cross-posting policy. Please do not cross post!

Do not meddle in the affairs of moderators, for they are subtle and quick to anger.ANDREW RUSSELL STUDIOS
Cool Links :: [ GD | TG | MS | NeHe | PA | SA | M&S | TA | LiT | H*R ]
Got Clue? :: [ Start Here! | Google | MSDN | GameDev.net Reference | OGL v D3D | File Formats | Asking Questions | Go FAQ yourself ]

You could always look at other frameworks to get some ideas. Basically your framework should handle things like initialization, resource management, render management, event management etc etc. The word management is a key word here

Check out OGRE (Object-Oriented Graphics Rendering Engine), http://ogre.sourceforge.net for a good example of a game framework.

any other tips to offer...thanks...

issit a correct approach to work each component of the framework fully before trying out the rest...

i am currently working on wat i call the system framework...creating and initialising a openGL window

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement